News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ghosted by co-editor on 2 major projects?

Started by euro_trash, August 27, 2019, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euro_trash

Colleague agreed to co-edit 2 major works with me (humanities). 80% of the work was done YEARS ago (I've done my half good lord!). Colleague made less and less contact over time, citing work pressure and always promising to be nearly ready to tidy things up, the emails ready to go out, but colleague has totally disappeared. It's been a *year*. Colleague has been publishing elsewhere in the meantime.

I've already put hundreds of hours into each of the two projects, and one of the book contracts is in my name. I got the contract in 2013. What do you think I should do? I feel really stuck. On the one hand, I feel like these should have been out years ago, and that the delay has harmed me professionally. On the other hand this colleague is important, though I feel as if I've been ghosted. So I'm stuck. WWYD? Colleague outranks me but is at another university if that matters.
spork in 2014: "It's a woe-is-me echo chamber."

niceday in 2011: "Euro_trash is blinded by his love for Endnote"

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc

mamselle

Can you say what general field?

Given that article/book differences, the use of multiple authorships on humanities/science works, etc. vary so much by discipline, that might help get you more specific, useful feedback.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

euro_trash

These are (edited) collections in 1) literature and 2) creative writing.

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc

pedanticromantic

Personally, I would contact them and say something like "you're obviously not interested in doing this work. I understand that you're too busy to continue so I will do the remainder of the work and remove you from the project unless I hear from you in x days... "
Otherwise you're doing all the authors a serious disservice, since they may be dependent on things getting published for their own T&P, etc.

secundem_artem

One rule of thumb that has stood me well when dealing with co-authors:

"Your silence will be interpreted as your consent." 

If they don't like what I've done, the edits I've made, the author order, the journal I sent it to, or anything else, it's their problem.  I've found this to be remarkably effective at motivating other people to send replies, or otherwise get on the ball.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

youllneverwalkalone

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 28, 2019, 01:21:04 PM

If they don't like what I've done, the edits I've made, the author order, the journal I sent it to, or anything else, it's their problem.  I've found this to be remarkably effective at motivating other people to send replies, or otherwise get on the ball.

I wholeheartedly agree with this in the context of journal papers. I am not sure it applies to the OP's case though since edited collections tend to be much more complex projects and especially because only one of the book contracts is in their name.

Hibush

Quote from: youllneverwalkalone on August 29, 2019, 01:06:01 AM
Quote from: secundem_artem on August 28, 2019, 01:21:04 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with this in the context of journal papers. I am not sure it applies to the OP's case though since edited collections tend to be much more complex projects and especially because only one of the book contracts is in their name.

Perhaps OP has been dropped as co-editor of the volume that doesn't have them on the contract, and is now sole editor of the other volume. Now it is mostly a matter of informing everyone.

toothpaste

Since you have a contract, this would be a good time to talk to your editor at the press about why you haven't delivered. They might be able to help you think of strategies for dealing with the ghosting colleague.

euro_trash

Quote from: toothpaste on August 30, 2019, 10:01:53 AM
Since you have a contract, this would be a good time to talk to your editor at the press about why you haven't delivered. They might be able to help you think of strategies for dealing with the ghosting colleague.

I did just that. I called the editor who was very supportive. Editor told me to proceed without ghost colleague altogether. I sent ghost colleague a very factual nonemotional email explaining that I'm moving forward as sole editor, and am waiting for the fallout. I'm sure I'll get excuse after excuse but I'm done. It's unfair to the contributors and to me. Should have done this years ago.