Presenting same content twice at research conferences

Started by adel9216, January 17, 2020, 11:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

I would actually go a step further and say that this is not only ok, but should be encouraged.  Presenting or publishing in a second language makes the information available to a wider audience, and that should be out objective.

larryc

Quote from: adel9216 on January 17, 2020, 11:50:36 AM
Hello, me again.

Hi how are you? All your questions are welcome here.

Newbie question: is it common to present the same content at different research conferences?

It is endemic, like genital herpes.

I am asking because I am presenting tomorrow a conference in the UK in English. I am wondering if I could present the same content at a local conference in my hometown in French, but I don't know if that's okay.

It is fine.

In general one should not present the exact same material twice. In practice, it is fine to give essentially the same presentation to completely different audiences because you will get different feedback from different kinds of listeners. And because if you change the paper title enough, no one will be the wiser.

adel9216

Hello, how do I list that in my academic CV? Once or twice considering that the same presentation has been presented to two very different audiences?

lightning

Quote from: adel9216 on February 07, 2020, 06:35:53 PM
Hello, how do I list that in my academic CV? Once or twice considering that the same presentation has been presented to two very different audiences?

If it's the same exact or almost exact presentation, then, yeah, I list it twice. But rarely do I give the same exact presentation. Usually there is enough difference that I change the title sightly for the subsequent presentation.

mamselle

I had one paper early on pick up attention in four different venues that followed each other so closely there wasn't much time to revise. Two were conferences (one local, one national), one was an invited talk at a seminary, another a part of a seminar on the liturgical arts at a national/diocesan-level musician's workshop series.

So I listed it as "Processions of Medieval Basketweavers and the Chants They Sang," Sept, 1345; Nov. 1345; Jan 1345; Mar 1346.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Oh, people, this is how one gets the publication lists longer! Should all be somewhat different; should all be at different venues; should not allow one to get caught. Can be called spurious product differentiation, but how spurious is up to each of us. Self-plagiarization is an industry, and it's OK. :-)

Been there, done that.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

Quote from: dismalist on March 03, 2020, 09:27:56 PM
Oh, people, this is how one gets the publication lists longer! Should all be somewhat different; should all be at different venues; should not allow one to get caught. Can be called spurious product differentiation, but how spurious is up to each of us. Self-plagiarization is an industry, and it's OK. :-)

Been there, done that.

Um, no. Not me, and probably not the others who responded to the OP. The OP never mentioned the publication of proceedings, so we were discussing conferences without publications.

Self-plagiarization? Maybe you. And, no, it's not OK.

no_one_of_consequence

If the audience is different, what is the problem? This is how you get feedback to improve your paper.

youllneverwalkalone

Quote from: dismalist on March 03, 2020, 09:27:56 PM

Been there, done that.

This is disturbing.

bio-nonymous

I have done this (present similar work at different venues), but typically in the context of presenting a project that is morphing--first presentation might be initial findings, next presentation might be the same project but now we are further down the road and have more data and new insights, etc. Some projects might last years and if one waited until "the whole story" was ready, you might not do anything. This is like multiple papers arising from the same study--they are not the same oi course, but are building upon the previous or taking the story in a new direction. In the context of poster presentations, not published conference papers which are not really a thing in my field, some duplication of effort presented to different audiences at different venues only increases dissemination of the work to a wider audience and gains more critical feedback--which in an early stage project is valuable for everyone. SO I think that one must think about the ethics of what one is doing, and what your goal is, to determine if what you are doing is right or not.