News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traductio

Wow -- took me forever to find this thread again.

I just broke my record for distance run in one week -- 30km. (I think my previous record had been 26km.) Working back up to longer distances, as I tend to do each summer. Feels good, mostly.

pgher

That's great! Yes, summer is the time to add mileage. I run mostly to get in shape for a trip each October. I try to get in top form by the time the semester starts so I hopefully don't degrade too much by the time the trip starts.

Question for you all: Do you run every day or have rest days? I've ramped up to running every day because I like the way it feels. These last few days have been rough for other reasons, so I skipped today. On the one hand, I feel anxious, like I've forgotten to do something (even though it was intentional). But at the same time, my body just doesn't feel capable. I'm wondering if I should schedule in a day or two each week when I recover.

traductio

Quote from: pgher on June 26, 2022, 10:38:06 AM
That's great! Yes, summer is the time to add mileage. I run mostly to get in shape for a trip each October. I try to get in top form by the time the semester starts so I hopefully don't degrade too much by the time the trip starts.

Question for you all: Do you run every day or have rest days? I've ramped up to running every day because I like the way it feels. These last few days have been rough for other reasons, so I skipped today. On the one hand, I feel anxious, like I've forgotten to do something (even though it was intentional). But at the same time, my body just doesn't feel capable. I'm wondering if I should schedule in a day or two each week when I recover.

My new approach (as of this week, in fact) is to run every day, but vary the distances. My "off" days are just 3km -- enough to get out (and overcome that feeling of having forgotten something), while my "on" days are 5 or 6km, working toward 10km (where I was at the end of last summer). So far it's working for me, way more than I expected.

I am taking today off, though, because I've run out of clean running clothes, or even ones that aren't so gross I don't mind putting them on again. That's a new problem for me!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: pgher on June 26, 2022, 10:38:06 AM

I typically run about five miles per session and take a day or two off in between each run. On some of those off days I do other exercises. I love running and dislike my other workouts, but when I deviate from this formula and run consecutive days I tend to get (minor) injuries.

traductio

As of tonight, I've run 102km in the last four weeks, my new record. (Last year I did about 104km over the month of July, but that was 31 days rather than 28.) I increased my frequency, but ran shorter distances each time, and it felt really great.

Tomorrow I'll either run 10km or take the night off and watch Westworld.

pgher

Quote from: traductio on July 16, 2022, 07:20:49 PM
As of tonight, I've run 102km in the last four weeks, my new record. (Last year I did about 104km over the month of July, but that was 31 days rather than 28.) I increased my frequency, but ran shorter distances each time, and it felt really great.

That's great! I think the key is for it to feel good. Then the distance will come naturally.

Thanks all for the advice recently. I ended up doing a short run that relieved that anxious feeling. Trying now to do kinda like Traductio--I run every day but alternate short and long days.

traductio

Quote from: pgher on July 16, 2022, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: traductio on July 16, 2022, 07:20:49 PM

That's great! I think the key is for it to feel good. Then the distance will come naturally.

Thanks all for the advice recently. I ended up doing a short run that relieved that anxious feeling. Trying now to do kinda like Traductio--I run every day but alternate short and long days.

What's really surprised me is how much easier the longer distances have become because of the regular short runs. I had expected to be more tired, but the extra 3km runs on short-days have increased my energy for the longer days. It's been a pleasant discovery.

traductio

Yesterday I ran 10k for the first time this summer. The humidity finally broke, and there was a cool breeze. It was magnificent.

pink_

I've been out for a month due to a knee issue, and I'm having (arthroscopic, outpatient) surgery on Thursday. I miss running, though I miss it a whole lot less this time of year in the South.

Sun_Worshiper

Heat broke in my area and I went on a ~6 mile run yesterday for the first time since early June. I've been exercising in other ways and staying fit, but expected this run to be absolutely brutal (not least because it remains quite warm in my neck of the woods), but it was fine!

spork

I need to get new socks. I have been wearing crew-length Vitalsox compression socks for the last decade for running, travel, and everything else. I love them, but they aren't showing up on Amazon anymore in the length and size I need. They are not sold in retail stores where I live. Any suggestions on alternatives? My requirements are:

• crew length.
  • cushioned sole.
  • compression, but not medical grade.
  • quick dry, so no natural fibers.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.