News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Now, thanks to Joe Biden and the media we've got something called 'the extremist conservative.' Kind of like saying 'I'm going to paint my car a shocking grey color.'

mahagonny

I think you're right; they probably don't have the whole story. For some reason they didn't have the whole story on Hunter's laptop either.

mahagonny

Please stop it about the tuxedo already. <snip>

paultuttle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 24, 2022, 11:45:50 AM
Starting to feel a little like Fiona:)

Fiona the thread-killer on the previous fora, or Fiona as in Shrek's wife?

:grins:

:ducks and runs:

FishProf

Pot, meet kettle.   Kettle, pot.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

So, let's suppose you're one of those who believes it should be a good thing to state 'Black Lives Matter' and it should be an considered an unacceptable, or menacing thing, to state 'White Lives Matter.' If this is going to be remedy for something, then what is the timeline? When are we done with this arrangement, never? If it's not a remedy that's meant to bring resolution, then what is it?
What's weird about it, other than the obvious: the deal is now that we all understand ourselves to believe that white lives matter, but we must never say it aloud. And what do you do when a five year old says it?
Can't have a world like that unless it is no longer a free world.

mahagonny

I thought it was what they do next after doing an episiotomy.

Ruralguy

I think if I stated "my life matters," then nobody would care. If I said "my family members' lives matter", also not many would be sensitive to this.
And so on, until we get to ethnic and racial groups. Then people start getting quite sensitive. My guess is that there are a couple of problems people have with "white lives matter." On one hand, they probably think you are mocking Black Lives Matter, which admittedly is more jerky than racist, but probably somewhat racist. On the other, it might also be feared that there is an element of supremacist thinking behind "white lives matter." Now, could it be that *some* people who state "Black Lives Matter" might have less than pure thoughts, i.e. less about defending black lives against police, and maybe a little bit of supremacist thinking? Maybe. I just don't know. I don't believe it is by any means the dominant thinking in that movement. Probably fairly minimal.

mahagonny

The idea that black lives don't matter is not dominant among non-black people, and has not been, in the USA, in many decades. Yet or some reason the phrase ''black lives matter" is thought of as an idea that was missing.

mahagonny

QuoteI think if I stated "my life matters," then nobody would care. If I said "my family members' lives matter", also not many would be sensitive to this.
And so on, until we get to ethnic and racial groups. Then people start getting quite sensitive. My guess is that there are a couple of problems people have with "white lives matter." On one hand, they probably think you are mocking Black Lives Matter, which admittedly is more jerky than racist, but probably somewhat racist.

Or perhaps fragile. But we are being told by the social justice crew that fragility is something to be identified and then overcome. But then for other people, it should be cultivated. Again, I maintain, the kind of of racialized unequal treatment that will only tear a society apart. And a proven by the example of Candace and Ye (and many others) not all black people want to be offended by a statement like 'white lives matter.' And it's mostly white liberals who need them to be offended. 

little bongo

[not related]

You seem to fighting two futile battles at once. In the first case, you're proposing common sense solutions that work for a lot of people, but for all kinds of possible reasons, they don't work for everybody. I get that you're a bit frustrated, coming at the problem with a "But it's common sense, gosh darn it" attitude. But sometimes the answers lie beyond common sense, because the problems are more than what they appear on the surface. Kind of like Yossarian in "Catch-22" treating the wrong wound on the bomber and then witnessing the bomber's guts fall out.

As to the second futile battle, based on a close study, reading, and re-reading of your adversary's responses, I'm guessing they're about 12. Or going to be 12. Probably best to say thanks and disengage.

mahagonny

Unrelated

Well, immoral...compared to who? Not compared to me, by my estimate. 'Let him who is without sin throw the first stone' and all that stuff we got indoctrinated with.  But here's the thing I wonder wrt how today's democrats think: do these Black republican government officials or candidates for office such as Herschel Walker, Larry Elder, Winsome Sears, Tim Scott, et al, these black faces of white supremacy, envision themselves being exempt from slavery once it is brought back by the republicans? How is that expected to work? Or is it envisioned that they would like to be slaves? You cannot be a slave and a senator of GA or Governor of CA at the same time.

onthefringe

There are two whole generations between boomers and GenZ, and very few GenZ kids have boomer parents. Those of us in GenX are used to being overlooked, but people usually at least remember the Millenials, even if they for some reason think they are still in college.

jimbogumbo

Musk has cemented his asshole status with me by his actions today regarding Pail Pelosi. He is as bad as Dinesh DeSouza.

marshwiggle

Quote from: onthefringe on October 30, 2022, 12:19:15 PM

There are two whole generations between boomers and GenZ, and very few GenZ kids have boomer parents. Those of us in GenX are used to being overlooked, but people usually at least remember the Millenials, even if they for some reason think they are still in college.

Yeah, I expected that. The point is that what the parents (of whatever generation) saw as a great freedom, their children see as grave danger.
It takes so little to be above average.