News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Asking for a raise?

Started by thehighking, April 18, 2020, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehighking

Say that your institution hasn't given cost of living adjustments in the last 4 years. Say that you have also performed above and beyond w.r.t. to service and research, far exceeding regular expectations for both at this time. How would you ask for a raise of your dean? Or would you not? I realize Covid throws everything askew, but bracket that for a moment (or perhaps not?)

fishbrains

Bruh, no one knows what the numbers are going to look like for next year, and you are going to ask for a raise? If you aren't tenured, you just might get promoted to customer. Sorry you peaked at the wrong time, bruh.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

arcturus

My first response: "seriously?!".  You cannot ignore the present circumstances. When Universities are implementing hiring freezes and furloughs, you will be considered incredibly selfish or naive to ask for a raise at this time. Sure, if you are negotiating a start-up package, you still want to work the system as best you can, but if you are already in place and ask for a raise at the present time, you will earn a reputation that will be hard to live down. Your stellar record will still be there when the University finances settle back down.

Cheerful

See thread titled Furloughs.

Ruralguy

Everything others said about the circumstances are true, but there might be an out.

Does your school have a formal merit pay process (sounds like no, or it was suspended)?

Does your school have endowed professorships  (either partial or total)?

The second might be possible. We have some of these, and the "lower level" ones, that is, those that are just partial and have a term to them can be applied for. Maybe you have that?
The higher level ones are usually just chosen like an award---generally without knowledge by the recipient.

tuxthepenguin

Quote from: thehighking on April 18, 2020, 10:16:21 AM
Say that your institution hasn't given cost of living adjustments in the last 4 years. Say that you have also performed above and beyond w.r.t. to service and research, far exceeding regular expectations for both at this time. How would you ask for a raise of your dean? Or would you not? I realize Covid throws everything askew, but bracket that for a moment (or perhaps not?)

If you don't have an outside offer for a lot more money, why your dean give you a raise?

mahagonny

There are some raises in union contracts that are scheduled for September.

secundem_artem

OP -- If you can pull this off, you have to promise to come right back here and share with us all how you did it. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

dismalist

Quote from: tuxthepenguin on April 18, 2020, 12:33:28 PM

If you don't have an outside offer for a lot more money, why your dean give you a raise?

I fear that these days if one did have an outside offer, the Dean would say: Well, we wouldn't want to stand in your way.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

tuxthepenguin

Quote from: dismalist on April 18, 2020, 01:38:43 PM

I fear that these days if one did have an outside offer, the Dean would say: Well, we wouldn't want to stand in your way.

As someone that has to balance a budget, I expect deans to be doing fist pumps when they learn someone has an outside offer.

science.expat

Quote from: tuxthepenguin on April 18, 2020, 01:51:25 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 18, 2020, 01:38:43 PM

As someone that has to balance a budget, I expect deans to be doing fist pumps when they learn someone has an outside offer.

Yep!

If someone came to me for a raise right now, I'd immediately classify them as selfish and clueless. After I had picked myself up from the floor where I'd fallen in stunned incredulity.

polly_mer

In the good times your institution had no cost-of-living raises for years.  That's a big red flag regarding long-term viability.

I would have been on the market for the past three years and would now be looking for any professional job to be in hand before the institution closes in the next year or two.

Freezing raises for one year during a pandemic or a recession is prudent.  Having already been so short for years during a pretty good economic time means the institution is unlikely to make it for reasons unrelated to the current pandemic, but the pandemic is likely to be the final nail in the coffin.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

finding_balance

I'm sorry that you haven't received even a COL raise in 4 years.  That is truly unfortunate.  However, this is not the time to be asking for a raise.

clean

If you are not willing to move, then you are in a position to ask for more money. 
IF you ARE willing to move, then go on the market. I agree with Polly_mer, if your employer has not been giving COL raises in the last four years, assuming that is something that they do there (**see below), then this is likely not a viable, long term employer for you.  IF your research has exceeded the average, then there is likely some place that will make you an offer in the upcoming job market (for the 21/22 AY). 

**Note that my employer's philosophy is that they do not give COL raises.  The state legislature seems to think that no one deserves a raise because they survived another year of employment.  Besides, the COL in the last 4 years (as measured by inflation) has only been about 2% a year.  However, my employer does provide 'merit' raises.  They are not much, and not too hard to get, BUT they are not automatic, so if you dont qualify for at least the 'satisfactory/meets expectations' level, then you dont deserve a raise. 

Returning to your original question, IF you think that you school will have MORE money this year, instead of less, then go ahead and make your case to your dean.  I agree with many of the others that posted here.  IF you are at a state institution, ask yourself:
What has happened to Sales Tax receipts this year (will there be more money available, or budget cuts in the state)?
What has happened to local property tax receipts?  Will there be more or less money available in town to pay teachers, fire and police forces?  Is the tax payer supported hospital needing more or less money?
IF your state depends on gas tax money, or extraction taxes on oil, what happened to that revenue?

IF you think that your state has fared well in this environment, go ahead and ask. IF your state has not fared well, then I predict that your school will not only NOT have a COL increase this year, but it will be looking to claw back money it already sent to schools this year, and will cut their budget for next year (and likely the year after)

SO>>>>  IF you think that you are worth more, find some other place willing to pay you more. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader