News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Does Iowa Wesleyan still have some denominational affiliation?  If it does, one would think said group might well help out?  I have taught at religiously affiliated schools, in two very different denoms, which both had very miniscule (less than IWU's) endowment, and both would surely die without the vast annual subsidies given to them by their churches.

dismalist

Quotevast annual subsidies given to them by their churches.

That can't be correct.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

Yes, it was.  Why do you say this?

Anselm

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 28, 2023, 04:48:18 PM
Does Iowa Wesleyan still have some denominational affiliation?  If it does, one would think said group might well help out?  I have taught at religiously affiliated schools, in two very different denoms, which both had very miniscule (less than IWU's) endowment, and both would surely die without the vast annual subsidies given to them by their churches.

Yes, it is still affiliated with the UMC.  I attended an ELCA affiliated school and I was not aware of any money coming from the churches.   A congregation would offer some assistance to individual students whose families attended that church. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on March 28, 2023, 05:02:11 PM

That can't be correct.

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 28, 2023, 06:46:37 PM
Yes, it was.  Why do you say this?

I remembered the strategy of the Catholic Church: Every ship floats on its own bottom. [Plus 10% handling for St. Peters in Rome.]

Apparently, there is an exception, Catholic University in DC. Lucky them.

Looking at Protestant denominations I came across this

https://www.churchlawandtax.com/cft/2014/august/how-churches-spend-their-money.html

Nothing left over for gifts to colleges.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

The RCC was one of the denoms that ran the two schools I am thinking of.   It is probably true that most of the ecclesiastical financial underwriting there was likely private donors spurred on by the church, but the other school is owned by a conservative evangelical denom with maybe 2.5 million members.   The school's endowment was maybe 2-3 mill, but it received a 10 mill per an subsidy from the denom, and the denom runs probably five other schools.

jimbogumbo

Neither the Methodists nor ELCA typically subsidize affiliated colleges. They do indeed rely on individuals and individual churches.

Mobius

That can't be correct.

You'd be shocked at how much money the LDS Church spends operating three universities and a business college.

dismalist

Quote from: Mobius on March 29, 2023, 06:05:27 PM

That can't be correct.

You'd be shocked at how much money the LDS Church spends operating three universities and a business college.

Special case. Hell, they even have their own State! They support all of four colleges directly. Not even the Catholic Church has its own state anymore. It just has Catholic University in DC.

Direct religious finance of higher ed as a share of total cost of higher ed is trivial.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

emera gratia

Using public educational dollars to fund a private waterpark is a choice, I guess, but unfortunately it means that things aren't looking good for Birmingham Southern: https://www.al.com/opinion/2023/03/guest-opinion-governor-chooses-waterpark-not-bsc-for-education-trust-fund-dollars.html

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: emera gratia on March 30, 2023, 11:49:10 AM
Using public educational dollars to fund a private waterpark is a choice, I guess, but unfortunately it means that things aren't looking good for Birmingham Southern: https://www.al.com/opinion/2023/03/guest-opinion-governor-chooses-waterpark-not-bsc-for-education-trust-fund-dollars.html

I've always said we have the means to save our universities.  We just are not that interested.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

This is reminiscent of the library who left millions of dollars to his college--who then used it to buy a new electronic scoreboard for their stadium.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

Quote from: apl68 on March 30, 2023, 01:24:32 PM

This is reminiscent of the library who left millions of dollars to his college--who then used it to buy a new electronic scoreboard for their stadium.

It always boils down to the same question: Who owns the money? That's what politics is about.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Quest University, IMO the only reputable private university in Canada, is closing.

It's too bad, they seemed cool. But... 135 students isn't going to cut it, is it?
I know it's a genus.

Ruralguy

It was a cool idea, and some other schools have taken on the "what is your question?" approach to majors/curriculum.
But Canadian don't have the private school tradition, and probably many Americans like the idea, but would rather go to a
similar place with more students and closer to home. Then of course there's the majority who think its way to hippy-dippy.