News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

St. Augustine College in Chicago is no more. It is merging with Lewis University. St. Augustine has been running deficits since 2013 and its liabilities exceed its assets; i.e., it went bankrupt. Its enrollment fell by more than 50 percent over the same period.

Interestingly SAC was started in 1980, so it lost money for at least 25 percent of the time it existed.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

That was a startlingly recent date for foundation of a college.  A quick check finds that St. Augustine was founded specifically to serve a bilingual (Spanish-English) student population.  Which sounds like a worthwhile niche, given the nation's huge bilingual population.  Evidently it wasn't a sufficiently lucrative niche.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

selecter

St. Augustine is (was) in my old hood, near my own Super Dinky, which was an HSA. So, we had some overlap. St. Augustine, even in its neighborhood, had virtually zero footprint.

Hibush

Quote from: apl68 on April 26, 2023, 06:26:59 AM
That was a startlingly recent date for foundation of a college.  A quick check finds that St. Augustine was founded specifically to serve a bilingual (Spanish-English) student population.  Which sounds like a worthwhile niche, given the nation's huge bilingual population.  Evidently it wasn't a sufficiently lucrative niche.
We see institutions take on the laudable mission of educating a population that cannot pay the tuition. Those institutions need to have an independent source of the same amount of revenue, but that source is rarely forthcoming. The community colleges are the best place at the moment, if the community they support is prepared to provide that funding.

apl68

Can't link to it due to a paywall, but there was a report this morning that the University of Arkansas has approved a new Italian language major.  Apparently there's a real demand for that one.  While it doesn't exactly replace the cancelled French major at UALR discussed above, it does indicate that the study of European languages at American colleges may not be as doomed as we'd thought.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Antiphon1

Quote from: apl68 on April 29, 2023, 07:58:15 AM
Can't link to it due to a paywall, but there was a report this morning that the University of Arkansas has approved a new Italian language major.  Apparently there's a real demand for that one.  While it doesn't exactly replace the cancelled French major at UALR discussed above, it does indicate that the study of European languages at American colleges may not be as doomed as we'd thought.

The board also voted against buying the University of Phoenix last week.  I don't know what these actions mean, but I am heartened.  Perhaps we are refocusing our resources on nurturing existing programs rather than chasing the next new thing.  Maybe we don't need to ride the elephant every time the circus comes to town.

Hibush

Quote from: Antiphon1 link=topic=22.msg127307#msg127307The board also voted against buying the University of Phoenix last week.  I don't know what these actions mean, but I am heartened.  Perhaps we are refocusing our resources on nurturing existing programs rather than chasing the next new thing.  Maybe we don't need to ride the elephant every time the circus comes to town.
I like the image of the trustees of some school on the back of the escaped elephant that is the University of Phoenix. Not fiscally prudent. Headed straight for the straits.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mythbuster

This is one where I miss Prytania. She would have had lots to say about the situation.

Hibush

Tulane (enrollment 14,000) is buying a giant hospital that has stood vacant since it was damaged by hurricane Katrina 18 years ago. They will invest $135 million in fixing it up. Desperation move or wise investment in the future?

Hibush

As we maintain our cottage here at The Fora, this perspective may be relevant.

Quote from: Chronicle of Higher EducationThe question of how many small colleges will close has become something of a cottage industry over the past decade, and the intensity and frequency of these predictions only increased during the pandemic. But as Chronicle reporter Lee Gardner recently pointed out, a catastrophic die-off of small colleges has been predicted for well over a decade, and has not come to pass.

apl68

I wonder how many have gone out of business so far?  And how many show clear signs of being in existential trouble?  The number is surely not small.  Though surely not close to the figures we've seen suggesting that something like a fifth/quarter/third/half are on their way out.

kaysixteen

What is the likelihood that many of these finacially flailing private schools will be absorbed by their states and made into publics?

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 01, 2023, 04:59:55 PM
What is the likelihood that many of these finacially flailing private schools will be absorbed by their states and made into publics?
My initial guess is zero. What would the conditions be that make that attractive? A lot of the publics have excess infrastructure at the moment, so it would have to be one that is expanding in the same area. It would also be in a state that values public education a lot. Is there a flailing private campus near Fayetteville that could be a candidate?