News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Iowa only has three public universities and 15 community colleges. Wyoming has eight community colleges. Striking difference between the two states, as Wyoming's population is about less than a fifth the size of Iowa's.

FishProf

Quote from: Mobius on May 10, 2023, 03:48:06 PM
Iowa only has three public universities and 15 community colleges. Wyoming has One Public University and eight community colleges. Striking difference between the two states, as Wyoming's population is about less than a fifth the size of Iowa's.

Fixed that for you...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Wahoo Redux

Found this interesting and, of course, a little disheartening.  At the same time, a lot of these colleges are seeing upticks in enrollment, sometimes 10% or more, as many more are seeing modest to more pronounced downturns. 

CollegeRaptor: Enrollments by State
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 10, 2023, 07:45:20 PM
Found this interesting and, of course, a little disheartening.  At the same time, a lot of these colleges are seeing upticks in enrollment, sometimes 10% or more, as many more are seeing modest to more pronounced downturns. 

The big are getting bigger. Top enrolments around the Northeast edumegopolis: NYU up 5.5k; Boston U up 3.5k.     In the Southwest ASU (in person) up 3.5k, USC up 3k, UCLA up 3k, Cal up 3k, UCSD up 2k.   These upticks are bigger than the enrolments of the schools that have gone out. 

These are total enrolment, not undergrad. The profitable masters programs make up a big proportion at some.

apl68

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 10, 2023, 07:45:20 PM

Not much change in relative rankings in our state.  A couple of schools that are adjacent in the rankings switched places.

Alma Mater and my parents' alma mater both gained a bit, which is heartening. 

The state's HCBU's all appear to have tanked badly, which is deeply concerning.  I would guess that we're going to see some of them on this thread before too much longer.  Come to think of it, I can't recall any local black college-bound students of my acquaintance whom I've heard of going to any of them.  But then nearly all college-bound students of any sort in our town default to the nearest state school, forty miles from here.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Anselm

Iowa only has three public universities and 15 community colleges. Wyoming has eight community colleges. Striking difference between the two states, as Wyoming's population is about less than a fifth the size of Iowa's.

Arkansas with less people than Iowa has at least ten 4 year universities that I can think of right now.  Iowa  can use a few more.  I really wish they could build a state version of a SLAC with small classes and no big time sports.  Not everyone is cut out for the large state universities.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Quote from: Anselm on May 11, 2023, 09:18:20 AM

Arkansas with less people than Iowa has at least ten 4 year universities that I can think of right now.  Iowa  can use a few more.  I really wish they could build a state version of a SLAC with small classes and no big time sports.  Not everyone is cut out for the large state universities.

That's one reason why our local students go mostly to the little state school nearby.  That, and the big state flagship is a very long way away.

Henderson State University filled the "public SLAC" niche for many years in Arkansas.  No longer, since they've now axed liberal arts.  But it's at least still a smaller school available in a region hours from the state flagship.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Mobius

Quote from: FishProf on May 10, 2023, 06:37:54 PM
Iowa only has three public universities and 15 community colleges. Wyoming has One Public University and eight community colleges. Striking difference between the two states, as Wyoming's population is about less than a fifth the size of Iowa's.

Fixed that for you...

I spotted Wyoming the one. Just looking at how Iowa has such few public institutions of higher learning compared to its population. North Dakota has two flagships and four smaller four-year schools scattered throughout the state, along with some community colleges. Iowa relied on the SLAC model to provide four-year degrees in rural area, and we are seeing the results.

spork

Medaille University is going to close now that the acquisition by Trocaire College is off the table. Medaile has run deficits since 2013, its endowment is only $6 million, and it's got more than $22 million in bond debt. It pulls in only $20 million in annual operating revenue but has $35 million in annual operating expenses.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: spork on May 13, 2023, 01:41:31 AM
Medaille University is going to close now that the acquisition by Trocaire College is off the table. Medaile has run deficits since 2013, its endowment is only $6 million, and it's got more than $22 million in bond debt. It pulls in only $20 million in annual operating revenue but has $35 million in annual operating expenses.

Looking at the enrollment Medaille has to be way over discounting tuition.

spork

Quote from: spork on May 13, 2023, 01:41:31 AM

August 31
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

selecter

I think schools taking part in the teachout will get a good look at some of those discounts.

My guess? 75-80%

apl68

Quote from: selecter on May 16, 2023, 07:56:25 AM
I think schools taking part in the teachout will get a good look at some of those discounts.

My guess? 75-80%

I'd never heard of Medaille, Trocaire, or any of the schools offering teach-outs.  Lots of little obscure colleges in that neck of the woods.  I guess the remaining ones are glad to poach some students from the failing school.  The shakeout of struggling institutions in the region may not be over yet. 

Looks like Medaille started out as a teachers' college for Catholic schools.  At some point they abandoned their religious affiliation.  Another school that lost its original mission, and never found much of a distinctive niche to replace that.

Scout

I'm from the area and Medaille was a well known player regionally. I don't think losing the religious affiliation was a big loss or win. Most who I know went there didn't go because of its Catholicism.

apl68

Quote from: Scout on May 16, 2023, 02:40:05 PM
I'm from the area and Medaille was a well known player regionally. I don't think losing the religious affiliation was a big loss or win. Most who I know went there didn't go because of its Catholicism.

Just out of curiosity--did they have any particular programs that they were known for?