News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selecter

In roughly the same region, the Paul Smith's College story is getting weird. Looks to me like the accreditor says no and the president says yes. I can guess how that will work out.
https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2023/05/paul-smiths-president-the-college-has-no-plans-to-close.html

Technically, I'm assuming the accreditor said "teach out" and everyone else heard "close." Splitting that hair will be detrimental all around.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: selecter on May 17, 2023, 06:08:02 AM
In roughly the same region, the Paul Smith's College story is getting weird. Looks to me like the accreditor says no and the president says yes. I can guess how that will work out.
https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2023/05/paul-smiths-president-the-college-has-no-plans-to-close.html

Technically, I'm assuming the accreditor said "teach out" and everyone else heard "close." Splitting that hair will be detrimental all around.

IHE: Accreditor Demands Teach-Out Plan From Paul Smith's College
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

spork

Paul Smith's will close. It is no longer a financially viable operation.

Upper Iowa University. Undergraduate FTE enrollment peaked at 5525 in 2012 and dropped to 3285 in 2021. Consistent deficits of up to 10% of total operating expenses.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

selecter

If my friend of a friend is correct, some of the students coming out of Medaille seem to be 85% discounted. Tough for the teachout schools, I'd reckon.

apl68

Quote from: spork on May 18, 2023, 05:30:31 PM

Upper Iowa University. Undergraduate FTE enrollment peaked at 5525 in 2012 and dropped to 3285 in 2021. Consistent deficits of up to 10% of total operating expenses.

The latest news says that they've just announced about three dozen layoffs, and are eliminating several sports programs.  But starting a new program in women's wrestling.

And they are closing seven "regional education centers."  I suppose these are some kind of remote education sites that didn't pan out?

They're also hoping to pick up orphaned students from Iowa Weslyan.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

lightning

Quote from: apl68 on May 19, 2023, 07:41:48 AM
Quote from: spork on May 18, 2023, 05:30:31 PM

The latest news says that they've just announced about three dozen layoffs, and are eliminating several sports programs.  But starting a new program in women's wrestling.

And they are closing seven "regional education centers."  I suppose these are some kind of remote education sites that didn't pan out?

They're also hoping to pick up orphaned students from Iowa Weslyan.

I honestly had no idea that Upper Iowa University even existed.

spork

King's College (NYC, not London) lost its accreditation. It needs to close.

MSCHE announcement
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

downer

Quote from: spork on May 30, 2023, 05:51:02 AM

MSCHE announcement

https://www.highereddive.com/news/kings-college-on-the-brink-of-closure-still-fundraising-to-stay-alive/647277/

I wonder whether billionaire Peter Chung will get his $2 million  loan back.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

With enrollment dropping below 400, they really are below the threshold of viability now.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hester

Hi,
  Has anyone heard the outcome this budget is having on CSCU ( not UConn)? I understand state colleges are already trimming costs.

If I understand correctly,  it's approximately a 150 mm cut over 17 colleges/ uni.

8-12 mm cuts will be felt deep at each institution.

Thanks

apl68

That would translate to scores of faculty and staff cuts at each institution, at least.

Hibush

Quote from: downer on May 30, 2023, 07:21:24 AM
Quote from: spork on May 30, 2023, 05:51:02 AM

MSCHE announcement

https://www.highereddive.com/news/kings-college-on-the-brink-of-closure-still-fundraising-to-stay-alive/647277/

I wonder whether billionaire Peter Chung will get his $2 million  loan back.

The school was really a vanity project of Richard and Helen DeVos (the family of Amway and Secty of Ed fame). When they died, the school's financial model did as well.

kaysixteen

And King's blew away whatever credibility it still had a few years back by hiring Dinesh D'Souza as its president.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on June 08, 2023, 07:25:29 PM
And King's blew away whatever credibility it still had a few years back by hiring Dinesh D'Souza as its president.

Well, we need to bury the culture wars then.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

kaysixteen

Even strongly committed righty culture warriors need to recognize that hiring/ promoting scumbags is a bad strategic decision.