Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxthepenguin

Quote from: apl68 on February 18, 2020, 08:33:31 AM
Quote from: tuxthepenguin on February 18, 2020, 07:47:46 AM
Hardin-Simmons Cuts 22 Academic Programs

IHE article

Quotecutting 22 academic programs -- eliminating 17 faculty and 14 staff positions -- building on a previous round of program closures and layoffs

QuoteIn a previous round of cuts, the university eliminated undergraduate programs in environmental science, geology, medical illustration, philosophy, physics, political science, sociology, Spanish and music in performance, as well as graduate programs in English, history, math and environmental management.

They're cutting the religious programs that are distinctive to a religiously-affiliated school's mission--but also their business and education offerings.  Wonder what they have left?

I think it's safe to say all of their employees should be looking for alternative work right now. I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but it sure looks ugly from the outside. If they were one of those institutions with 600 students, I'd declare them dead.

magnemite

Interesting budget times at EWU, with cuts sparked by declining enrollment. I have read that administrative simplification- consolidating lots of departments into larger schools or programs is being proposed to save cash. The faculty, however, are looking at athletics: . The linked article has comments from an Assistant Professor who seems to be among the leaders of this effort, which is interesting in and of itself. I am rooting for cutting the athletic program, or at the very least football...
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

Hibush

Quote from: magnemite on February 19, 2020, 11:52:57 AM
Interesting budget times at EWU, with cuts sparked by declining enrollment. I have read that administrative simplification- consolidating lots of departments into larger schools or programs is being proposed to save cash. The faculty, however, are looking at athletics: . The linked article has comments from an Assistant Professor who seems to be among the leaders of this effort, which is interesting in and of itself. I am rooting for cutting the athletic program, or at the very least football...

The athletic director's quote is a great example of rejecting a scholarly quantitative analysis; "I think what you've got to be careful about when you see a report like this is that just putting together a narrative around numbers that you pull from charts and graphs can be interpreted in different ways."  I'm betting the physics professor's analysis is the more robust.

dr_codex

Quote from: Hibush on February 20, 2020, 12:28:34 PM

The athletic director's quote is a great example of rejecting a scholarly quantitative analysis; "I think what you've got to be careful about when you see a report like this is that just putting together a narrative around numbers that you pull from charts and graphs can be interpreted in different ways."  I'm betting the physics professor's analysis is the more robust.

Yup. Ask that AD about Sabermetrics. Or ask how they justify D1 scholarships to recruits. I'm betting that they have spreadsheets....
back to the books.

Wahoo Redux

Seems to me this could be groundbreaking. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Yes, a simple problem of bundling. Harder to sustain when competition increases.

The athletic director should be asked whether it would be a better idea to close down the academic activities to save the sports! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: dr_codex on February 20, 2020, 02:56:46 PM

Yup. Ask that AD about Sabermetrics. Or ask how they justify D1 scholarships to recruits. I'm betting that they have spreadsheets....

They could cover the football budget with a thousand season tickets at $3,500. If fan enthusiasm is one of the values the AD is inserting, that should be a reachable goal.
But to cover the DI budget on football's back, the tix would be $14,000 each.

If I recall, the bumper stickers in that region say "This is Cougar country"  That may be tough competition for football loyalty.

spork

I love Hickey's argument of "the athletic programs at almost every other university lose money, too."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

apl68

Interesting--and surprising--to note that overall art-school enrollments haven't crashed in recent years like numbers of liberal arts majors have.  With the widespread conventional wisdom now being that only STEM, business, etc. are worth majoring in, I would have expected otherwise.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

Quote from: apl68 on February 22, 2020, 07:21:35 AM
Interesting--and surprising--to note that overall art-school enrollments haven't crashed in recent years like numbers of liberal arts majors have.  With the widespread conventional wisdom now being that only STEM, business, etc. are worth majoring in, I would have expected otherwise.

I am totally unfamiliar with how the stand-alone art schools operate, but at my tiny institution, the art department is one of the most technology-and design-forward programs on campus (the others being biology and chemistry with bench lab equipment; we do not have any engineering). Unfortunately the common perception among faculty and administrators is that art means nothing but painting portraits and looking at photos of cathedral murals.

mamselle

Graphic design draws students and sets up requirements for modern art history courses, among other things.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

I would imagine that art school always gets people who are really passionate about it, so enrollment isn't subject to a lot of marketing hype. (Which school someone chooses may be, but the fact that they're going to a fine arts program never is.)

If I ran the world, I'd discourage anyone who didn't have that kind of certainty from going to anyplace at all. Work for a few years and see if you ever feel there's something you desperately want to do. We could probably scrap half of the remedial programs and other expensive measures to salvage failing students if we just kept them from entering until they were sure that's what they wanted to do.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 23, 2020, 04:36:09 AM

I would imagine that art school always gets people who are really passionate about it, so enrollment isn't subject to a lot of marketing hype. (Which school someone chooses may be, but the fact that they're going to a fine arts program never is.)

If I ran the world, I'd discourage anyone who didn't have that kind of certainty from going to anyplace at all. Work for a few years and see if you ever feel there's something you desperately want to do. We could probably scrap half of the remedial programs and other expensive measures to salvage failing students if we just kept them from entering until they were sure that's what they wanted to do.

And half the arts schools.