News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadingLife

Quote from: Hibush on May 11, 2020, 02:23:23 PM
Edmit financial health = low; Forbes financial health grade = D.

Damn, they must be really doing poorly if those are their scores. My institution is ranked "high" and Forbes gave us a C rating and I'm still not sleeping well given the numbers and projections I have seen.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: TreadingLife on May 11, 2020, 04:33:53 PM

Damn, they must be really doing poorly if those are their scores. My institution is ranked "high" and Forbes gave us a C rating and I'm still not sleeping well given the numbers and projections I have seen.

Edmit lists a great many institutions, a number of which have been in the news lately because of their finances, as "high"-ly ranked.  I'm not sure I see the point if Forbes' grades are accurate.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

I suspect that there are no emergency powers available to the president that will improve the situation.

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on May 12, 2020, 06:53:47 AM

I suspect that there are no emergency powers available to the president that will improve the situation.

Not unless he has access to some very convincing counterfeiters. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

sonoamused

Quote from: Hibush on May 08, 2020, 06:44:51 PM
Wells College president questions continuation.  A small rural school that went coed relatively recently, and tried a big drop in tuition to attract more students.
"If New York State continues its mandate that our campus remain closed through all or part of the fall semester, Wells simply will not receive enough revenue to continue operations," Gibralter said. "A substantial amount of the College's operating budget comes from room and board revenue, so without enough students participating in our residential life, the College cannot afford to reopen."

Motto---Where bright futures thrive

Wells has struggled for a long time.    I interviewed there quite some time ago, and while there were a lot of things about it that impressed me, I am still not sure how it was it is business then.

Wahoo Redux

Wahoo Redux

Parasaurolophus

Northwestern is suspending all retirement contributions until the end of fall; Johns Hopkins for a year.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 13, 2020, 11:05:27 AM
Northwestern is suspending all retirement contributions until the end of fall; Johns Hopkins for a year.

Us too.  For an "indefinite" period.  FWIW, I think this is their alternative to layoffs and furloughs.  Not that those will not be real possibilities once we find out what fall's enrollment numbers are.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

spork

Quote from: TreadingLife on May 13, 2020, 02:35:42 PM

Another merger. This time Pine Manor College will be merging with Boston College.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/13/live-updates-latest-news-coronavirus-and-higher-education

This is fundamentally a real estate deal: BC gets the campus in exchange for taking on Pine Manor's debt. In two years there won't be anything "Pine Manor" anymore.

No way any faculty or staff cut loose from Pine Manor will land jobs at BC.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

Quote from: spork on May 13, 2020, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: TreadingLife on May 13, 2020, 02:35:42 PM

Another merger. This time Pine Manor College will be merging with Boston College.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/13/live-updates-latest-news-coronavirus-and-higher-education

This is fundamentally a real estate deal: BC gets the campus in exchange for taking on Pine Manor's debt. In two years there won't be anything "Pine Manor" anymore.

No way any faculty or staff cut loose from Pine Manor will land jobs at BC.

Yes, of course.

What caught my eye in the article was the sentence: Pine Manor enrolls 423 students, according to the most recent federal data.

There is no way, no way, any State, other donor, AAUP sponsored petition, political party, the Feds, or anybody else is willing to financially save such tiny institutions, and for good reasons.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Pine Manor and BC have been sort of connected for awhile anyway, I think.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.