News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

That's pretty funny, dismalist.

A serious answer comes from Cornell.. There's still a healthy dollop of "we're not really rich", but it also has details.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

Henderson State University is trying to explain to legislators that its CARES funding is still not enough to cover their virus-related shortfalls in revenues:

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/may/18/hsu-needs-funds-system-chief-insists-20/

They were at some pains to point out that half of the CARES funding has to go direct to students, which apparently some still don't understand.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on May 19, 2020, 11:08:22 AM
Henderson State University is trying to explain to legislators that its CARES funding is still not enough to cover their virus-related shortfalls in revenues:

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/may/18/hsu-needs-funds-system-chief-insists-20/

They were at some pains to point out that half of the CARES funding has to go direct to students, which apparently some still don't understand.

Same situation we are in.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

polly_mer

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 19, 2020, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: apl68 on May 19, 2020, 11:08:22 AM

Same situation we are in.

I expect many institutions are in the position of having a big gap that even the full CARES funding wouldn't cover and the student half of CARES funding cannot be used to the institution for institutional expenses incurred by students per point 1 on the official FAQ.

Once again, outsiders see a big number and even that big number is nowhere near enough once the details roll in.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on May 19, 2020, 11:09:46 AM
I don't think this was posted yet...

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/ohio-wesleyan-cutting-10-million-in-staff-programs-and-other-cuts

M.

They're eliminating 44 non-teaching positions and encouraging early retirements among faculty.  But not at this time threatening to lay any faculty off.  Looks like they're taking aim first at administration, broadly defined.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

polly_mer

stemer

Quote from: polly_mer on May 19, 2020, 06:39:17 AM

A serious answer comes from Cornell.. There's still a healthy dollop of "we're not really rich", but it also has details.

I am now confused about how endowed positions work. From the article:

"If endowment spending drops a lot, the University is up a creek. [For example], if I am a professor whose salary is covered by endowment spending, and endowment spending drops, the University has to come up with salary money elsewhere," Ehrenberg said. "Rather than have wild fluctuations in endowments, it is better to have a smooth path."

Are they saying that an endowed professor's salary is not covered in perpetuity by the original gift (and its growth, compound interest and all) but depenbds on new annual endowment giving?
How can this be?

TreadingLife

Quote from: stemer on May 22, 2020, 08:26:56 AM

"If endowment spending drops a lot, the University is up a creek. [For example], if I am a professor whose salary is covered by endowment spending, and endowment spending drops, the University has to come up with salary money elsewhere," Ehrenberg said. "Rather than have wild fluctuations in endowments, it is better to have a smooth path."

Are they saying that an endowed professor's salary is not covered in perpetuity by the original gift (and its growth, compound interest and all) but depenbds on new annual endowment giving?
How can this be?

I haven't served on an endowment committee, but it is my understanding that the value of the endowment isn't taken at one point in time. Rather, the draw rate is applied to a moving average of the endowment's value. So if the value of the endowment dips, this pulls down the 6 or 12 month moving average of the endowment, even if the endowment "rebounds" in a future month. I believe there are restrictions on how much a school can draw from an endowment in terms of being fiscally responsible and sustainable. So if your draw rate is 4 or 5%, and the endowment balance dips due to a dip in the stock market, the 4 or 5% you can withdraw nets you a smaller absolute dollar amount.

This is my guess. I could be wrong. I agree with you though. I did not think that endowed positions were based on 'soft money'.

marshwiggle

Quote from: TreadingLife on May 22, 2020, 09:16:04 AM
Quote from: stemer on May 22, 2020, 08:26:56 AM

How can this be?

I haven't served on an endowment committee, but it is my understanding that the value of the endowment isn't taken at one point in time. Rather, the draw rate is applied to a moving average of the endowment's value. So if the value of the endowment dips, this pulls down the 6 or 12 month moving average of the endowment, even if the endowment "rebounds" in a future month. I believe there are restrictions on how much a school can draw from an endowment in terms of being fiscally responsible and sustainable. So if your draw rate is 4 or 5%, and the endowment balance dips due to a dip in the stock market, the 4 or 5% you can withdraw nets you a smaller absolute dollar amount.

This is my guess. I could be wrong. I agree with you though. I did not think that endowed positions were based on 'soft money'.

I don't know either, but thinking of what you've just pointed out, it would seem obvious that an "endowed chair in Basketweaving" would have to have its salary smoothed out by general funds since the amount vailable from year to year would fluctuate, while the salary would presumably follow the pattern of the rest of the institution.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

I just heard from a friend that Texas Christian University has decided to cut "a large number" of its library's online subscriptions. The university has urged faculty to get their research done ASAP, but hasn't said which subscriptions are getting axed. =/

(I assume it's because they didn't bother coordinating with the library before announcing it.)
I know it's a genus.

apl68

University of Arkansas is implementing significant budget cuts in expectation of declining revenues.  Tuition will not be raised to cover deficits, but through a combination of hiring freezes, drawing on reserves, and past conservative budgeting practices they are hoping to avoid layoffs.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/may/22/ua-system-approves-tighter-budgets-2020/

System President Donald Bobbitt is quoted at the end as saying that they've been preparing for a rainy day, "and it's rainy."

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 22, 2020, 10:04:44 AM
I just heard from a friend that Texas Christian University has decided to cut "a large number" of its library's online subscriptions. The university has urged faculty to get their research done ASAP, but hasn't said which subscriptions are getting axed. =/

(I assume it's because they didn't bother coordinating with the library before announcing it.)

The university may have told them on short notice to cut X amount of budget, and the library decided that this would necessitate cuts in online subs--but hasn't yet had time to make the decisions about what to cut.

Vkw10

Quote from: apl68 on May 22, 2020, 10:41:25 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 22, 2020, 10:04:44 AM

The university may have told them on short notice to cut X amount of budget, and the library decided that this would necessitate cuts in online subs--but hasn't yet had time to make the decisions about what to cut.

My university library is doing planning for serials cut. They  told us renewal decisions get submitted in early September for subscriptions that start January 1. They don't have budget yet, so they've posted three lists of possible cuts, depending on budget.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)