News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgher

Quote from: spork on July 19, 2020, 02:38:18 AM
U Missouri-Columbia projecting 18% decline in first-time freshmen and a $24 million loss in tuition revenue and state allocations.

Look at the date. That was written in 2017 in the aftermath of racial issues.

spork

Quote from: pgher on July 19, 2020, 06:07:58 AM
Quote from: spork on July 19, 2020, 02:38:18 AM
U Missouri-Columbia projecting 18% decline in first-time freshmen and a $24 million loss in tuition revenue and state allocations.

Look at the date. That was written in 2017 in the aftermath of racial issues.

D'oh. You're absolutely right. I had Google search set to 1 week. Some meta tag must have been changed.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

spork

Quote from: downer on July 20, 2020, 11:25:11 AM
Canisius is falling apart.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/canisius-college-considering-cuts

Budget just barely in the black in FY 2017, deficit of $6.9 million in FY 2018 on an operating budget of $136 million. Undergraduate FTE enrollment fell by 37% from 2006 to 2019.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Another religiously-affiliated school preparing to drop its religious studies program, among others.

Alumni have started a Go Fund Me campaign.  It's hard to believe that will make a difference.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

It had healthy positive net revenue for several years in the post-2008 recession period, often in the double digits. Looks like its leadership suffered from optimism bias year after year.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

IHE picked up some local reporting that Carthage College (Kenosha, WI) is in trouble; up to 20% of faculty will lose their jobs. Oddly Carthage's undergraduate FTE enrollment was higher in 2019 than it was pre-2008 recession. Yet it went from positive net revenue of $19 million in FY 2017 to a deficit of $5 million in FY 2018. And it looks like Carthage implemented a tuition reset right before the 2019-20 academic year. Something is very wacky.

polly_mer

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/07/19/carthage-college-proposal-lay-off-faculty-draws-student-protest/5468267002/ indicates that Carthage College is worried about the demographic cliff and students voting with their feet for pre-professional majors. My bet is that enrollment in expensive-to-deliver majors has increased while enrollment in cheaper majors like philosophy is crashing.

College Scorecard indicates that Carthage currently has 63 fields of study with only 40 having usable data.  Carthage doesn't even have the nursing mentioned in the article, but only has allied health.  The top ten majors by number of graduates includes biology (a liberal arts field) but no humanities.

Combining the information from the article and College Scorecard indicates Carthage is making the first big step to acknowledging they are not in fact a liberal arts college.  Their Carnegie classification does not reflect being a LAC.

polly_mer

The Galloway analysis completely ignores the colleges like Super Dinky.  The ones Galloway identifies as 'low value' are still mostly name-brand institutions, as logically stems from the method of using top institutions from USNWR rankings.

Wahoo Redux

I looked up some of the colleges I am familiar with on Galloway's spreadsheet----recent news from these places seems to contradict Galloway's analysis.  One SLAC which has admitted to teetering on the verge and recently laid off faculty is listed as "survive," while another SLAC which has always been healthy and wealthy, and is considered one of the best in the same region, is listed as "perish."  Unless Galloway has some sort of insider knowledge I wouldn't give much credence to his analysis----which mostly tells us what we already know anyway.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 24, 2020, 07:53:45 AM
I looked up some of the colleges I am familiar with on Galloway's spreadsheet----recent news from these places seems to contradict Galloway's analysis.  One SLAC which has admitted to teetering on the verge and recently laid off faculty is listed as "survive," while another SLAC which has always been healthy and wealthy, and is considered one of the best in the same region, is listed as "perish."  Unless Galloway has some sort of insider knowledge I wouldn't give much credence to his analysis----which mostly tells us what we already know anyway.

Apparently Galloway's spreadsheet doesn't match his graphic either. The comments on Galloway's own post hit him really hard for unserious analysis with serious consequences.

spork

Quote from: Hibush on July 24, 2020, 09:01:55 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 24, 2020, 07:53:45 AM

Apparently Galloway's spreadsheet doesn't match his graphic either. The comments on Galloway's own post hit him really hard for unserious analysis with serious consequences.

I have never been impressed by marketers. Especially those who teach marketing in business schools.