News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_codex

None of this is new.

Raymond Williams suggested, more than half joking, that the country/city divide was as old as Eden. Certainly, Town and Gown tensions are (almost?) as old as the university.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules/austenintheory/r_williams_reading_austen_in_theory.pdf
back to the books.

Hibush

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 13, 2021, 07:41:11 PM
At the state level, Republicans have both houses and the governorship.  Federally, both senators are Republicans.  Iowa went for Trump in 2016 and 2020.  In the 2020 elections, the 4 congressional members went from 3 Democrats and 1 Republican to 1 Democrat and 3 Republicans.

It seems that all the leftist academics allegedly poisoning young minds are doing a piss poor job of it.

Meanwhile at the University of Manila, student and faculty leaders are being denounced as communists and it is anticipated that they will be "dispatched" by the military in the near future. It's worth slowing the trend in Iowa.

polly_mer

At the state level, Republicans have both houses and the governorship.  Federally, both senators are Republicans.  Iowa went for Trump in 2016 and 2020.  In the 2020 elections, the 4 congressional members went from 3 Democrats and 1 Republican to 1 Democrat and 3 Republicans.

It seems that all the leftist academics allegedly poisoning young minds are doing a piss poor job of it.

What percentage of voters have college degrees?

Of those folks, how many are young?

Oh, and what makes you think that poisoning minds would result in something positive for the leftist academics instead of having young people turn away from both their communities and the out-of-touch academics?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Hegemony

I thought the whole point of poisoning the minds would be that the young would march in lockstep with the leftist agenda.

I want to know exactly how I'm supposed to be brainwashing my students, so I can do a better job of it. So far I can't even brainwash them effectively enough to use commas properly. Inducing them to subscribe to any particular worldview comes after persuading them to use topic sentences in their papers, so if someone has the secret to this brainwashing, I'm all ears.

secundem_artem

Quote from: polly_mer on February 14, 2021, 03:51:16 PM

What percentage of voters have college degrees?

Of those folks, how many are young?

Oh, and what makes you think that poisoning minds would result in something positive for the leftist academics instead of having young people turn away from both their communities and the out-of-touch academics?

About 25% of Iowans have a 4 year degree or higher.  Depending on the county, it ranges from 13% to over 50%.  Average age in Iowa is 38.

If all us lib-tard faculty were so effective at inculcating liberal values, you'd think the Democrats would do better. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

And here I remember why I quit posting...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

apl68

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 19, 2021, 07:57:09 AM
The Wright State BoT will meet today with this recommendation of 113 faculty positions to be lost:

http://www.wright.edu/sites/www.wright.edu/files/uploads/2021/Feb/meeting/WSU%20Retrenchment%20Executive%20Summary%20and%20Full%20Report.pdf

Interesting document.  Looks like they're trying hard to be realistic.  They project that within a couple more years enrollment will be at something like half its peak a few years ago.  So major cuts in faculty numbers are absolutely unavoidable.  They hope for some improvement in the number of international students under the Biden administration, but not immediately and they're not staking too much on it.  They recognize that their MBA program doesn't have much "brand" strength to stand out in a crowded market, so they can't count on that for a cash cow.  On the other hand, they believe that their nursing program is strong enough to keep going without any cuts.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

Quote from: apl68 on February 19, 2021, 08:42:34 AM
The Wright State BoT will meet today with this recommendation of 113 faculty positions to be lost:

http://www.wright.edu/sites/www.wright.edu/files/uploads/2021/Feb/meeting/WSU%20Retrenchment%20Executive%20Summary%20and%20Full%20Report.pdf

Interesting document.  Looks like they're trying hard to be realistic.  They project that within a couple more years enrollment will be at something like half its peak a few years ago.  So major cuts in faculty numbers are absolutely unavoidable.  They hope for some improvement in the number of international students under the Biden administration, but not immediately and they're not staking too much on it.  They recognize that their MBA program doesn't have much "brand" strength to stand out in a crowded market, so they can't count on that for a cash cow.  On the other hand, they believe that their nursing program is strong enough to keep going without any cuts.

I find it interesting that the collective bargaining agreement allows for retrenchment after two years of enrollment declines, but the university waited five years -- until enrollment had declined by 30 percent -- to actually do anything to cut costs. And the projection is for a total enrollment decline of 50 percent.

But hey, those eleven Division I athletics programs are essential to attracting students. If we didn't have those, we might be projecting a 100 percent decline in enrollment.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Mobius

Quote from: apl68 on February 19, 2021, 08:42:34 AM

Remember Wright State faculty went on strike for three weeks in 2019. In the end, they didn't get much.

jimbogumbo

Remember this? Akron, Ohio University and Wright State. Like Pennsylvania, Ohio has too many regional publics, with too much investment in buildings and DI athletics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardvedder/2020/07/20/the-great-college-depression-begins/?sh=2ff279bc497b

Mobius

PASSHE faculty also went on strike in 2016. Can't expect the status quo with dwindling enrollment.

mamselle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 19, 2021, 11:29:51 AM
Remember this? Akron, Ohio University and Wright State. Like Pennsylvania, Ohio has too many regional publics, with too much investment in buildings and DI athletics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardvedder/2020/07/20/the-great-college-depression-begins/?sh=2ff279bc497b

The emphasis on athletics alone is the worst. (Raised in Columbus beside OSU....there's a reason I hate football).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Mobius

I don't subscribe to Vedder's contention that campus wokeness can even be partially at fault for enrollment declines.

Hibush

Quote from: mamselle on February 19, 2021, 11:52:33 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 19, 2021, 11:29:51 AM

The emphasis on athletics alone is the worst. (Raised in Columbus beside OSU....there's a reason I hate football).

M.

With the changes the NCAA is making, can Wright State divest the costly academic activities to focus solely on athlete development, supported by ticket sales, broadcast fees, cheerleader appearance fees, the professional leagues, sporting goods manufacturers and suppliers of performance-enhancing beverages?

Unfortunately, this move isn't likely to reduce the sports mania in Columbus.