News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

Quote from: Mobius on February 19, 2021, 12:07:54 PM
I don't subscribe to Vedder's contention that campus wokeness can even be partially at fault for enrollment declines.

That line really stood out to me as well.  Maybe it is true in that part of Ohio, but I suspect the comment was not based on data so much as the temptation to get a dig in at those who would challenge his power (or that of other Forbes readers).

jimbogumbo

The wokeness comment is just silly. This is a demographics issue, pure and simple.

spork

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 19, 2021, 12:22:45 PM
The wokeness comment is just silly. This is a demographics issue, pure and simple.

And a resource allocation decision issue. E.g., Division I athletics vs. academics, bond debt for capital construction.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Wright State was only started in 1967?  What a terribly ugly campus it must have!  I'm envisioning nothing but brutalist concrete and parking lots.  At least an older campus usually has an Old Main and an historic dorm or two to brighten up part of the place.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: apl68 on February 20, 2021, 08:53:06 AM
Wright State was only started in 1967?  What a terribly ugly campus it must have!  I'm envisioning nothing but brutalist concrete and parking lots.  At least an older campus usually has an Old Main and an historic dorm or two to brighten up part of the place.

You just described every regional campus in Indiana.

wellfleet

Not all of them--IUSB has some lovely modern buildings clad in limestone.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: wellfleet on February 20, 2021, 11:15:38 AM
Not all of them--IUSB has some lovely modern buildings clad in limestone.

Don't they all (the IUs) have at least some limestone? All of the PUs have some brick too, but I think lovely is a bit of a stretch.

Hibush

An update from the NYT Times: Disparity between haves and have-nots widens as measured by the number of applications.

The benchmark have: Harvard up 42%.

A SoCal sample,
UCLA up 28 percent
vs.
Cal Poly Pomona down 40 percent from would-be freshmen, and 52 percent from transfer students

The haves among otherwise stressed PA and upstate NY SLACs
Haverford up 16 percent
Swarthmore up 12 percent
Colgate up 103 percent
vs
SUNY down 14 perccent

TreadingLife

Quote from: Hibush on February 20, 2021, 04:34:13 PM
An update from the NYT Times: Disparity between haves and have-nots widens as measured by the number of applications.

The benchmark have: Harvard up 42%.

A SoCal sample,
UCLA up 28 percent
vs.
Cal Poly Pomona down 40 percent from would-be freshmen, and 52 percent from transfer students

The haves among otherwise stressed PA and upstate NY SLACs
Haverford up 16 percent
Swarthmore up 12 percent
Colgate up 103 percent
vs
SUNY down 14 perccent

I'd love to see how the discount rate is changing at the aforementioned schools.  Are students really clamoring to get into Colgate? Granted the number Hibush cites is the number of applications, not the number of admits or the number who accepted offers, but my point still holds to some extent. How many names are those schools buying to push brochures, in the hopes that those students attend? And how many of them are exclusively trying to court students who think they couldn't afford a private school by discounting tuition to the rates of the cheaper public schools?

Hibush

Quote from: TreadingLife on February 20, 2021, 06:30:43 PM
I'd love to see how the discount rate is changing at the aforementioned schools.  Are students really clamoring to get into Colgate? Granted the number Hibush cites is the number of applications, not the number of admits or the number who accepted offers, but my point still holds to some extent. How many names are those schools buying to push brochures, in the hopes that those students attend? And how many of them are exclusively trying to court students who think they couldn't afford a private school by discounting tuition to the rates of the cheaper public schools?

Yes, people are clamoring to get into Colgate. It is definitely one of the haves, though you may not recognize the name. Admit rate is 25% (and will be a lot less next year). Graduation rate is >90%. Net tuition is about $25K, and they have a good endowment.

Other schools in the region are having trouble filling their classes. The cheaper SUNY options in NY are among those seeing fewer applications.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on February 21, 2021, 04:16:23 AM

Yes, people are clamoring to get into Colgate. It is definitely one of the haves, though you may not recognize the name. Admit rate is 25% (and will be a lot less next year). Graduation rate is >90%.

This is the information that smart students will appreciate. A place that only has to accept good students will have a low attrition rate, and the rigor of the programs can be high. It makes sense for good students to choose a place like this since it will be a good fit.
It takes so little to be above average.

dr_codex

Yes, people are clamoring to get into Colgate. It is definitely one of the haves, though you may not recognize the name. Admit rate is 25% (and will be a lot less next year). Graduation rate is >90%. Net tuition is about $25K, and they have a good endowment.

Other schools in the region are having trouble filling their classes. The cheaper SUNY options in NY are among those seeing fewer applications.

Colgate is a high quality institution.

As for the SUNY's, it doesn't help that Oneonta's Covid response was a dumpster fire. https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/us/suny-oneonta-president-resigns-covid19-trnd/index.html
back to the books.

apl68

Quote from: dr_codex on February 21, 2021, 08:02:39 AM

They're especially known for their excellent school of dentistry.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on February 22, 2021, 07:32:57 AM
Quote from: dr_codex on February 21, 2021, 08:02:39 AM

They're especially known for their excellent school of dentistry.

Actually, whistleblowers have indicated that the school of dentistry's internship program is just a cover for putting students to work in the local toothpaste factory without wages.
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Reddit maintains a rich repository of Colgate University jokes. But it is archived, so that last current reference can't be added.