News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I hear that the chancellor of the PA State System of Higher Education has ordered three western universities (California, Clarion, and Edinboro) to consolidate into one, as well as three in the mideastern part (Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield). It's being floated that 2/3 of admin will be cut, lots of faculty will be cut, and classes will be hybridized. And if that doesn't work by next year, the chancellor will propose dissolving the state system.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Becker tried to merge with an out of state university collaborative.  Accreditation agency was leery b/c of the Mount Ida situation and the deal fell through.

The news that Clark stepped in to help (scavenge) is rich, as the stories ONLY seem to be talking about the Private Schools.  Nearby Worcester State is taking their sports teams, their nursing students, has transfer arrangements for about 8 majors and is pushing to hire their faculty for at least a 1 year VAP.  The press seems quiet on that.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 30, 2021, 08:29:50 AM
I hear that the chancellor of the PA State System of Higher Education has ordered three western universities (California, Clarion, and Edinboro) to consolidate into one, as well as three in the mideastern part (Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield). It's being floated that 2/3 of admin will be cut, lots of faculty will be cut, and classes will be hybridized. And if that doesn't work by next year, the chancellor will propose dissolving the state system.

Yes, that's been the situation for a while. 

So far, that PA chancellor is doing better than the VT chancellor who was fired for a similar read on a similar situation.

The situation was clear even before Covid and Covid didn't make anything better.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

polly_mer

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: polly_mer on March 30, 2021, 03:59:38 PM

So far, that PA chancellor is doing better than the VT chancellor who was fired for a similar read on a similar situation.

The situation was clear even before Covid and Covid didn't make anything better.

https://www.abc27.com/investigators/leader-of-pa-state-universities-make-a-change-or-dissolve-the-system/

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... state chancellors of public higher ed are not hired to, ahem, chloroform their systems.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 30, 2021, 09:34:18 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on March 30, 2021, 03:59:38 PM

https://www.abc27.com/investigators/leader-of-pa-state-universities-make-a-change-or-dissolve-the-system/

I guess by "dissolving" they mean no more sharing of resources among schools?  They must sink or swim on their own?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

polly_mer

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 30, 2021, 10:19:33 PM
Hmmm... state chancellors of public higher ed are not hired to, ahem, chloroform their systems.

They are hired to ensure the state has viable public higher ed institutions.  People who are using data to make decisions may have to make decisions that individuals won't like because reality doesn't care about feelings.

Amputation is sometimes the best option, even if it's not pleasant.

jimbogumbo

Ahem. Credit spork with posting this back on March 19. They have been discussing the merger for at least two years. Upthread polly and I "closed" Cheyney.

:edit: fix quotes to highlight new material

TreadingLife

FishProf

I'm cynical enough to wonder if it was intentional, to pit those on the chopping block against those who would survive the purge.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

selecter

kaysixteen

Be careful to avoid the bifurcation fallacy.   It is rarely going to be an 'all or nothing' situation where 'continue the status quo unchanged forever' alternates with 'kill it'.   These institutions serve great public goals, and 'we cannot afford it' is really often just 'we do not want to do what's necessary to afford it'.   Private institutions are a whole different ball of wax.

polly_mer

Quote from: kaysixteen on April 01, 2021, 10:57:16 PM
Be careful to avoid the bifurcation fallacy.   It is rarely going to be an 'all or nothing' situation where 'continue the status quo unchanged forever' alternates with 'kill it'.   These institutions serve great public goals, and 'we cannot afford it' is really often just 'we do not want to do what's necessary to afford it'.   Private institutions are a whole different ball of wax.

You're not as right as you want to be.  Closing a seriously underperforming unit to free up resources for other units is often a very good choice, although it does mean a loss of jobs and fewer options for students.

Dissolving the PASSHE doesn't mean having zero higher ed institutions in PA.  It could, though, mean letting the institutions that should close finally close and redirecting those resources to something that will be good with just a few more resources.

Yes, let's not fall into the bifurcation fallacy of preserving everything that currently exists by draining resources from all other endeavors or doing nothing while hoping magic occurs.