News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on September 01, 2021, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: mamselle on September 01, 2021, 11:10:12 AM
More on the NEU acquisition of an outrigger in Portland:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/08/31/bm-baked-beans-factory-new-institute-affiliated-with-northeastern-university/

(One wonders if they'll be able to get the taste of B&M Baked Beans right after the move, though....)

M.

If they put the Roux Institute in the bean factory, you know they'll cook up something good.

BTW, it's technically not a bean "factory," it's a bean "plant."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on September 01, 2021, 02:00:49 PM

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/08/31/bm-baked-beans-factory-new-institute-affiliated-with-northeastern-university/

(One wonders if they'll be able to get the taste of B&M Baked Beans right after the move, though....)

M.

If they put the Roux Institute in the bean factory, you know they'll cook up something good.

Oh, dear, regional language differences.

The factory where 'Boston' baked beans are made, once in Maine, is now moving to the midwest. So.....oooohhhh, wait, I get it.

Well done #3.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hibush

Legacy Business School, despite its $70,000 tuition, great Manhattan location, and gold-plated degrees, is in trouble.

The five-year-old school owes back rent on its small campus in NYC and the school's founder, international education executive Alessandro Nomellini, is occupying the campus and forcing current management to sue to get him out. The founder's legal team has left him because they haven't been paid.

kaysixteen

Why would anyone be stupid enough to attend such a 'school', and, perhaps more importantly, what businesses would think a 'degree' therefrom would be worth anything?

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 06, 2021, 06:39:32 PM
Why would anyone be stupid enough to attend such a 'school', and, perhaps more importantly, what businesses would think a 'degree' therefrom would be worth anything?

Apparently not as many as they were projecting, but I'm not sure the intelligence or discernment of the prospective students was the limiting factor. Maybe they just had an overoptimistic director of enrollment management.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Hibush on September 07, 2021, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on September 06, 2021, 06:39:32 PM

Apparently not as many as they were projecting, but I'm not sure the intelligence or discernment of the prospective students was the limiting factor. Maybe they just had an overoptimistic director of enrollment management.

It's in Trump Tower, interestingly enough.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Is it, still?

I read that a number of their tenants had left.

(There's an article, somewhere....)

M.

Hibush

IPEDS released some more data on how many schools are operating. I grabbed some numbers to show the change in the past decade to give an idea of how may schools were in terminally dire straits.

These numbers show the net change, but not many schools have been founded de novo.

Public   Private
nonprofit
Private
for-profit
Four year   Number in 2021   773   1,608343
   % change11%1%-48%
Two Year   Number in 2021   920   139   564
   % change   -16%   -22%   -45%

Clearly the cleaning up of the for-profit sector caused a lot of bankruptcies. Being sued for fraud by the Federal government does lead to dire financial straits. It appears that Secretary DeVos' efforts did not bring them back.

While two-year schools have declined, there was actually an increase in the traditional (ie public and non-profit) four-year schools.

The large increase in publics is surprising. Would those not be the "directional state" schools we often hear are in trouble. Why would there be more of them? 
One possibility is that more schools are opening in urban areas to meet rising demand, while the rural schools in depopulating areas remain open (but struggling)due to political support.

Private 4-yr non-profits remain the largest in number by far. Public ones likely enroll more students.

jimbogumbo

I would imagine some (no idea how many) have moved from Public 2 yr to Public 4 yr.

mythbuster

The entire community college system in Florida converted from 2 year to 4 year starting in 2009. It went from the Community college system to the Florida College system. They have 28 institutions. That likely accounts for much of the public growth.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on September 01, 2021, 05:44:31 PM
Quote from: apl68 on September 01, 2021, 02:00:49 PM

M.

Oh, dear, regional language differences.

The factory where 'Boston' baked beans are made, once in Maine, is now moving to the midwest. So.....oooohhhh, wait, I get it.

Well done #3.

M.

More concretely,

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/09/19/beans-to-an-end-mainers-share-sweet-memories-connected-to-bms-homey-products/

Even the journalists are getting in on the 'beans' puns....

Also, the discussion of the value of a CPA credential came up awhile back, I can't find the exact post, but this just appeared in my news feed, and I recalled the issue: might be pertinent:

https://www.goingconcern.com/opinion-its-the-aicpas-own-fault-no-one-wants-to-be-a-cpa-anymore/

Where's Octo!!!!????

M.

Wahoo Redux

Oh me oh my...

For the last 8 years I have taught whatever falls to the floor, which has been a wide variety, and I have taught well and with good humor. I have out published most of the TT folks. I have never had a problem other than minor grade challenges, everyone which I resolved without even bothering the chair.

But there's that demographic cliff.

So we have the need to find "immediate savings," and it looks like I may be out of a FT job next semester.  I will not be desperate as my wife has tenure and just won a good sized campus research award, and we have built up a good bit of savings and we have low CoL...

And I am not in love with teaching or this school...

And if I am back to adjuncting I would have a great deal more time to write and pursue other interests...

But what a blow to one's sense of purpose and self-esteem. 

It hasn't happened yet, and I am reasonable person and understand the university's untenable position.  The provost is a bit of a tool but a nice person nevertheless; I am sure hu doesn't want to be in this position.

Is it true that they were giving raises to athletics!?!?!  Can't be!

Just...ah sh*t!  What a bummer. 

I expect Polly to arrive any moment to gloat. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

selecter

That's brutal. Not much that I can say. I've been there once, and made it "out" .... to another school, but the demographic cliff is still there. Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

little bongo

I'm sorry, Wahoo. I'm glad you have some things in place to cushion the blow, but it's a big blow, nonetheless. Best of luck with whatever happens.