News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: spork on December 04, 2021, 02:38:23 PM
College of Saint Rose continues its downward spiral: http://www.strosechronicle.com/fresh/doors-close-as-numbers-fall/.

University of Central Oklahoma has massive budget deficit and faculty layoffs are likely: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/education/2021/12/03/university-central-oklahoma-edmond-uco-enrollment-layoffs-financial-shortfall/8842060002/.

Thank you for getting this thread back on track, spork.  Although it's unfortunate that there is more bad financial news.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

A concerning quote from a departing student in the Saint Rose article:

Quote"It became clear that Saint Rose didn't care about their students or their faculty; it, unfortunately, no longer felt like a place where I could grow and thrive like I had in the past. The announcement that they were cutting music and art programs came shortly after my decision to take time off from school and definitely solidified my decision to not return to Saint Rose. The Saint Rose administration has demonstrated time and time again that it does not value the Saint Rose community and its needs." said Saga Stranden. Stranden studied English at Saint Rose until they transferred to SUNY New Paltz following a gap year.

Maybe that's not entirely fair.  The administrators would undoubtedly say that they were forced by circumstances to make hard choices that they would otherwise not have made.  Fair or not, that sort of perception is going to hurt their recruitment and enrollment going forward.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Mobius

Student comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. How would the institution make students feel valued? Can an institution make painful changes without some student making that type of remark? This is why I dislike the easy quote without providing context.

mamselle

I've gone back a few pages, but I don't see this posted. If I'm duplicating, apologies.

A fake college, St. Sebastian's, has been instituted in Florida, sought student football players, made one of them, at least, pay their coach cash to satisfy part of their tuition bill, then dismantled the team--which had too few helmets, insufficient players, and almost no team support staff (i.e., just one coach). Teachers were unpaid and students were locked out of classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvFtda3ZpjE

Because it's categorized as a religious school, the state's education department is saying it has no jurisdiction for students seeking redress.

To top it off, the address on the letterhead is a community center. 

Crazy.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 08, 2021, 06:26:05 AM
I'd say this qualifies as dire: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/12/08/ohio-valley-university-will-close

From the article:
The university is working on a plan to help students finish their educations elsewhere. Enrollment has dipped below 200.

I can't even wrap my head around how this place operated. How many faculty in most places don't teach more than 200 students a year? Even if they only had one degree program for everyone, this would still have a ridiculous faculty/student ratio.
It takes so little to be above average.

Hibush

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 08, 2021, 06:39:14 AM
I'd say this qualifies as dire: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/12/08/ohio-valley-university-will-close

From the article:
The university is working on a plan to help students finish their educations elsewhere. Enrollment has dipped below 200.

Apparently the registrars office is understaffed, and unable to send transcripts. What would be the appropriate staffing level for a "University" that size?

I can't even wrap my head around how this place operated. How many faculty in most places don't teach more than 200 students a year? Even if they only had one degree program for everyone, this would still have a ridiculous faculty/student ratio.

Ruralguy

Maybe 20 faculty and 40-50 staff 9some of whom are contracted out) ?

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 08, 2021, 06:39:14 AM

From the article:

My parents met at a two-year school that was about that size--in the early 1960s!  It now has over 880 students, including a large non-traditional contingent.  The school's staff directory contains about 180 names--faculty, staff, and admin.  Maybe half are faculty, mostly adjunct.

spork

Form 990s show Ohio Valley University running deficits every year since the 2008 recession, except for 2013-2016, when contributions accounted for nearly half of total revenue.

Many of these schools with fewer than 1,000 students don't generate enough money from operations to be viable.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

secundem_artem

Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 08:51:28 PM
I've gone back a few pages, but I don't see this posted. If I'm duplicating, apologies.

A fake college, St. Sebastian's, has been instituted in Florida, sought student football players, made one of them, at least, pay their coach cash to satisfy part of their tuition bill, then dismantled the team--which had too few helmets, insufficient players, and almost no team support staff (i.e., just one coach). Teachers were unpaid and students were locked out of classes.

Because it's categorized as a religious school, the state's education department is saying it has no jurisdiction for students seeking redress.

Crazy.

M.

So, Trump U with a football team?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Ruralguy

180 for 880 students is just about right. My school is maybe slightly bigger than that and has closer to 300, but I think that a lot are contracted staff for dinning services. I.e., don't work directly for the college. Direct employees are closer to 200-250.

mamselle

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 08, 2021, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 08:51:28 PM

Crazy.

M.

So, Trump U with a football team?

Something like that, yeah...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Pooor, pooor, pooooor St. Sebastian: those kids are being soooo mean....

A follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJoLjCCumaA

M.