Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

High temperature records everywhere.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

Fire weather watch and warnings throughout the greater DC region today

apl68

We had borderline frost conditions overnight.  Frost in the early part of March used to be quite normal, but has become rare in recent years.  And now we're getting it past the Ides....

Sunny and a little chilly today.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Heavy rains have broken on us in the last little bit.  And we're now under a tornado watch.  March is acting pretty lion-like in this last week of the month.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

bio-nonymous

Freezing (literally-frost this morning) for this time of year in our neck of the woods. I hope my newly planted and recently sprouting grass seeds in my lawn bare spots do OK...

ab_grp

Relentlessly windy, dusty, yuck.

hmaria1609

It's cherry blossom season here in DC with temperatures in the 40-50s during the day. There's been a Hypothermia Alert activated in the evenings for 2 weeks.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on March 26, 2024, 08:34:37 AMIt's cherry blossom season here in DC with temperatures in the 40-50s during the day. There's been a Hypothermia Alert activated in the evenings for 2 weeks.

The cherry blossom season must be beautiful.

Our equivalent here is the dogwood bloom each year.  Aggressive timber clear-cutting in our neck of the woods has all but eliminated wild dogwoods over the years, but we still have some in parks and yards.  They do look beautiful.

hmaria1609

Not to mention the start of tourist season in DC!

Langue_doc

Rain all day, as forecast, but it's going to be a sunny high 50°s all weekend.

AmLitHist

Very pleasant today into tomorrow, with temps in the low-/mid-70s and sunshine. Storms and severe weather moving in tomorrow night through Monday, though. 

If it rains on Easter, there will be rain for the following six Sundays, according to the farming elders in my family from years back. It usually works out to be true, even if only a few sprinkles each Sunday.

Speaking of family lore, the frost was exceptionally heavy when I drove to work Thursday:  the farm fields looked very much like it had snowed, and a lot of the wheat around our daughter's house actually got frozen and was sickly yellow on the tops that afternoon. I was always taught that a hoarfrost like that, either in fall or spring, portends heavy rain within a few days--looks like it will work out this time, per the forecasts for heavy weather coming in.

apl68

We had a mild Easter temperature-wise, but it was overcast and dreary for most of the day.  Today looks like a repeat, with possible rain tomorrow.

hmaria1609

After 2 days of rain, it's stopped. While I was driving to work this morning, I saw the river had overflowed its banks into nearby woods and fields.

sinenomine

Four inches of very wet, heavy snow. I'm trying to think of it as an April shower.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

It's kind of mind-boggling how much April snow some places have gotten.  Especially considering how little snow some northern locations got for much of the winter.  Meanwhile California seems to have had its first really good snow pack in decades.