News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Chilly. Wet. There were little patches of snow on the ground when after a day-long online conference, I finally stirred myself to go out and get the mail (there wasn't any) at 8 PM last night.

Pulled on extra blankets. Slept like a warm log in a.well-banked fire.

It's still cold and wet out, but the rain has adsorbed the snow.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Faith786

I need this grant approved...

apl68

Beautiful and bright today, but unseasonably windy and chilly.  In the northern part of the state there was snow and concerns about crops.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of snow in this state in April.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Let's just say that the noise I thought was the upstairs people moving the furniture around (again) turned out to be very loud, very close thunder.

Heavy rain ensued, confirming my suspicion...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Sunny and sixties! Both today and tomorrow! Sun! Sun! Sun!

mamselle

Cool. And windy, all day, apparently.

Oh, well. I'm not going out.

Hrumpf.

M.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on April 21, 2021, 03:11:14 PM
Let's just say that the noise I thought was the upstairs people moving the furniture around (again) turned out to be very loud, very close thunder.

Heavy rain ensued, confirming my suspicion...

M.

It's amazing what all can be mistaken for thunder.  There was a bank where I kept thinking I heard thunder whenever somebody used the building's elevator.  And one of our regular patrons used to drive a jeep that sounded like thunder whenever he cranked it up to leave.  I called it the "thunder jeep."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I was sure it was our cats romping last night (what we usually describe as 'moving furniture') but then we noticed they were all in the living room with us looking around like "WHAT WAS THAT!?"

Then the deluge began
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Has anybody noticed evidence of long-term precipitation changes where they live?  In our region we've always gotten considerable rainfall in a normal year.  Some of it comes in the form of sudden, intense downpours, some comes as long, slow rainfall.  Over the past decade I've noticed a very definite trend away from slow rain to downpour.  Our rainfall now comes overwhelmingly in the form of storms and downpours.  Slow rains that last for very long seem to be becoming a thing of the past.  All of which is to say that we're observing the sorts of changes consistent with a changing climate.

hmaria1609

Burst of cold weather and windy!

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on April 22, 2021, 09:28:57 AM
Has anybody noticed evidence of long-term precipitation changes where they live?  In our region we've always gotten considerable rainfall in a normal year.  Some of it comes in the form of sudden, intense downpours, some comes as long, slow rainfall.  Over the past decade I've noticed a very definite trend away from slow rain to downpour.  Our rainfall now comes overwhelmingly in the form of storms and downpours.  Slow rains that last for very long seem to be becoming a thing of the past.  All of which is to say that we're observing the sorts of changes consistent with a changing climate.

Yes, and the cloudbursts (I think, an agronomist can correct me) are not as good for the soil. They wash away the topsoil and the rain doesn't sink in, so the runoff goes to the rivers and streams but doesn't feed the water table the way a slow soak would.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We just had quarter-sized hail and rain. Now, it's calm, but overcast.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

Bright and warm out.  Pretty seasonable for this time of year.

ab_grp

Windy, windy all day long.  But bright and sunny!