News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that Students Don't Know

Started by Aster, January 31, 2020, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Slide rule.

Well, that's not exactly a word, but a concept and a physical item.  There is NO reason they need to know it, but it's a pity that the slide rule world is gone.  Frankly, it made me think more about keeping track of exponents and significant figures and estimating than any calculator or smartphone does for today's cohort.

I still have mine.  And, yes, there are incomprehensible scales on it, but I still can multiply/divide and do squares and cubes and associated roots.  Not that I need to do much of those last two in retirement.  "Multiply/divide"?  Tax time is coming.  I wonder if the IRS will validate figures from slide rule work?
Cranky septuagenarian

wareagle

Heifer.

In a class of students who thought they were going to become veterinarians.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Aster

My dad had a slide rule and tried to show me how it worked, but I could never figure it out.

Slide rules are magical.

San Joaquin

Apparently, anything involving data is magical, and to be feared.

mamselle

I have a slide rule my dad gave me, too.

I kept trying to u understand "why" it worked so I never figured out "how..."

I'd set up an equation and try to solve it, then get lost in the exponents...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

San Joaquin

"Lost in the Exponents" is going to be the name of my next book. 

mamselle

Do I get a royalty for supplying the title?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kiana

apl68

"Perspicacity." 

I've heard it defined as meaning that one sweats a lot, but that was somebody deliberately being a smart-aleck.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Aster

Once again, the word "drab" has befuddled somebody.

Thinking back now, every person that has asked about this is a non-native-english speaker who has recently immigrated into the U.S.. Today it was someone from Argentina I think. Last time it was someone from the Middle East. And another person from either the Middle East or North Africa. Before that it was someone from another country, but I can't remember the accent.

I am not so irritated anymore. I look forward to the next cultural incident to confirm my hypothesis.

uni_cyclist

Fortress.

A student raised his hand during an exam because he didn't understand one of the questions, in which I used the word fortress.

For context, we had discussed the role of fortresses in Medieval Europe.

Juvenal

Quote from: uni_cyclist on February 28, 2020, 01:02:29 PM
Fortress.

A student raised his hand during an exam because he didn't understand one of the questions, in which I used the word fortress.

For context, we had discussed the role of fortresses in Medieval Europe.

Perhaps uncertain about the gender significances involved in "Fort" vs. "Fortress."  Can't afford to put a step wrong these days.
Cranky septuagenarian

fishbrains

Not really words, but many of my students can't read the face-clock in the classroom, especially if the clock has Roman numerals.

For timed tests, they have to put away their phones, so I have to tell them what time it is at regular intervals. A bit surreal there . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Morris Zapp

None of my students had ever heard the term noblesse oblige. Surprising.

mahagonny

Quote from: wareagle on February 19, 2020, 02:26:16 PM
Heifer.

In a class of students who thought they were going to become veterinarians.

Heifer loaf is better than none.

I have a Brazilian student who understands 'there' 'they're' and 'their' better than many Americans. It's not a matter of how good your teachers were. It's a matter of whether you care or not. Seventh grade material.