News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that Students Don't Know

Started by Aster, January 31, 2020, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

Qualification...as in how does the author qualify his idea?  What is the qualification? No student ever knew that.
     Precarious, one of my favorite words.
       Specious, not spacious  (apartments with specious rooms,)

Causal, not casual.
       Framework as a metaphor.

As students all of us did not know very common words in our native language.
   No shame in that.

Parasaurolophus

Suffrage (≠ suffering)

I imagine this one has come up before.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 21, 2022, 03:54:58 PM
Suffrage (≠ suffering)

I imagine this one has come up before.

There's a whole set of fairly obnoxious youtube videos pranking people for not knowing the difference. Here's the first hit when I searched for 'women's suffrage prank': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXT8zJE7ys

apl68

Quote from: Myword on June 14, 2022, 08:08:19 AM

Qualification...as in how does the author qualify his idea?  What is the qualification? No student ever knew that.
     Precarious, one of my favorite words.
       Specious, not spacious  (apartments with specious rooms,)

Causal, not casual.
       Framework as a metaphor.

As students all of us did not know very common words in our native language.
   No shame in that.

Though I know the difference, I have a terrible time mistaking "causal" for "casual." 

I think I once rented a "specious" apartment.  It proved misleadingly attractive after we had actually moved in.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

little bongo

I find the phrase "for all intensive purposes" come up in student writing quite a bit, instead of "for all intents and purposes." I guess even if you're using it correctly, it's kind of a cliche clutter phrase, but it's interesting how we hear and misunderstand things, often for many, many years.

apl68

Quote from: little bongo on June 29, 2022, 08:42:45 AM
I find the phrase "for all intensive purposes" come up in student writing quite a bit, instead of "for all intents and purposes." I guess even if you're using it correctly, it's kind of a cliche clutter phrase, but it's interesting how we hear and misunderstand things, often for many, many years.

Kind of like people who speak of a "doggie-dog world," or having a low "self of steam."  Although it feels like a "doggie-dog" world when I'm walking down certain local streets where there are lots of barkers.  And "self of steam" actually makes sense in light of the New Testament reminder that our life here is "even a vapor, which appears for a little time and then vanishes."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

little bongo

Right--sometimes the mistakes make a great deal of sense. (And I suppose some purposes really are intensive.)

mbelvadi

Quote from: little bongo on June 29, 2022, 11:50:59 AM
Right--sometimes the mistakes make a great deal of sense. (And I suppose some purposes really are intensive.)

There's actually a name for these kinds of mistakes that make sense: eggcorns. Named after a similar mistake a lot of people make about acorns because they're somewhat egg-shaped.

And there's an entire database of them. https://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

little bongo

Thanks, mbelvadi! Very good to know.

Parasaurolophus

'Obtaining'.

Instead, I have two students who think the word is 'pertaining'.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

"emergency"

Needing to study for an exam is not an emergency.  I will not excuse you for being absent in this class so you can study for an exam in your OTHER class.
Make better choices!

"sick"
Waking up with a mild headache does not mean you are too sick to go to class.  Sorry for being skeptical, but this only seems to happen to students who have 8:00am classes. 

marshwiggle

"belong" , e.g. "hearing (seeing) that made me feel like I don't belong."
"safe", e.g. "hearing (seeing) that made me feel unsafe".

Education is only working if it is making you confront errors and gaps in your knowledge and experience. That will at times, if not usually, be unsettling. That doesn't make you "unsafe", or "not belong", it's the point of the exercise. In fact, if you were never unsettled by anything in your education, that is when you would "not belong" as the experience would be a waste of time.

It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 02, 2023, 04:58:36 PM
"emergency"

Needing to study for an exam is not an emergency.  I will not excuse you for being absent in this class so you can study for an exam in your OTHER class.
Make better choices!

"sick"
Waking up with a mild headache does not mean you are too sick to go to class.  Sorry for being skeptical, but this only seems to happen to students who have 8:00am classes.

This reminds me of a temporary worker we once had who got a case of the Monday morning flu on his very first Monday at work.  He nearly ended up being even more temporary than expected.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on February 03, 2023, 07:41:34 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on February 02, 2023, 04:58:36 PM
"emergency"

Make better choices!

"sick"

This reminds me of a temporary worker we once had who got a case of the Monday morning flu on his very first Monday at work.  He nearly ended up being even more temporary than expected.

I read a story a while back about a new employee that showed up for her first day of work late because she was hung over from celebrating getting the job the night before. Needless to say, that was also her last day of work.
It takes so little to be above average.

poiuy

I am seeing an uptick of students who mix up 'substitute X with Y' and 'substitute X for Y'. This flips the meaning.

For example, "Substituted eggs for applesauce" and "Substituted eggs with applesauce".

This is a basic confusion in meaning and I think they just read the word 'substituted' and don't think through the word choice for the rest of the sentence and think that these are all equivalent. 

Irritating and time consuming to read, disentangle what they actually meant, and give feedback.