News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that Students Don't Know

Started by Aster, January 31, 2020, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

I noticed that year after year certain words are difficult for non-native English speakers.  I tell them that they can use a paper dictionary when taking exams but they almost never take advantage of that option. Then then resort to asking me what words mean during the exam.

The words that stand out so far are shallow, deep and depth.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

the_geneticist

My current freshmen students say the do not know what is meant by: millimeter, concentration (of a solution), or pH.

Parasaurolophus

Not students, just the culture at large: there's a persistent conflation of greed and gluttony.
I know it's a genus.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 15, 2023, 09:54:15 AM
My current freshmen students say the do not know what is meant by: millimeter, concentration (of a solution), or pH.

Did they take chemistry in high school? Covered in grade 11 chemistry, if not in grade 9 and 10 science.

the_geneticist

Quote from: MarathonRunner on May 18, 2023, 12:21:24 PM

Did they take chemistry in high school? Covered in grade 11 chemistry, if not in grade 9 and 10 science.

That would have been during the pandemic, so I have no confidence in what they would have already learned.  And this cohort is the one that tested lowest in math compared to fall or winter quarter.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Ouch!

Thursday's_Child

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Myword

How about INSOLENT?  Are they, or know the word?

fishbrains

Students don't know that the words "delve," "tapestry," and/or "whilst" in an essay send professors straight to the AI-generation detector.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 08:35:25 AMStudents don't know that the words "delve," "tapestry," and/or "whilst" in an essay send professors straight to the AI-generation detector.

While that's understandable, it does seem sad for those students who read a lot and have unusually rich vocabularies.  Although you may teach somewhere that doesn't have any such students.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

fishbrains

Quote from: apl68 on April 18, 2024, 10:02:59 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 08:35:25 AMStudents don't know that the words "delve," "tapestry," and/or "whilst" in an essay send professors straight to the AI-generation detector.

While that's understandable, it does seem sad for those students who read a lot and have unusually rich vocabularies.  Although you may teach somewhere that doesn't have any such students.

It's more when all three words are used in the same sentence.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 02:29:44 PM

Okay, that does sound a bit suspicious. Must be one doozy of a sentence.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on April 19, 2024, 07:17:48 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 02:29:44 PM

Okay, that does sound a bit suspicious. Must be one doozy of a sentence.

It wouldn't necessarily be diagnostic for my students, who even pre chat GPT seemed to love the chance to trot out SAT words whether they are needed or not. Hardly a final paper goes by without a student telling me that a plethora of evidence supports something, and I've certainly also been informed that they concluded something after delving into said plethora of evidence.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

treeoflife

My second year student did not know what peer reviewed is.