News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Upserd Student Misspellings, Reeducks

Started by Parasaurolophus, February 19, 2020, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 05, 2020, 08:16:23 AM
We did port it over! But it's in teaching (I can merge the threads later): http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1084.msg21307#msg21307
Bother! So sorry, and, yes, please do merge (when you can).

I think most of the students in this class worship Simbolizam, if this grading stack is any indication. Their papers all celebrate it, but none of them are able to articulate its mysteries very well. Definitely a cult.

AR.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

bopper

Quote from: AvidReader on December 05, 2020, 06:43:50 AM
Did we not carry over the thread for student misspellings from the old fora? Sorry if I missed it in the search, but this one was too good:

Student essay today refers to "symbolism" in the first two paragraphs and suddenly changes to "simbolizam" in the third and fourth paragraphs (including a parenthetical citation to the OED that misspells the word). Student goes back to "symbolism" for the works cited entry. The paper is uploaded in Word, which has flagged it as misspelled in every "izam" instance (there are seven).

The other half of the paper discusses irony.

AR.

I think simbolizam is the Croatian word for symbolism. Is this person Croatian or using Croatian sources?

AvidReader

I have not met this student in person, but given that the student attends high school in my Southern state, I suspect student is not Croatian. I did search the word on Google and it seems to be common in some other Eastern European countries. Maybe the student's spell check did something odd?

It appears maybe five times? The other paragraphs use "symbolism."

The cited source is the OED.

AR.

jfmmgm

One of my favorites was when a student submitted a paper on Beethoven, and within its 3 pages the composer's name was spelled 9 different ways!

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Aster

"...could not walk because he was on crushes."

apl68

Quote from: downer on November 04, 2021, 06:21:46 AM
It flowed very lovelily.

If describing a lovely stream covered with lily pads, that would actually almost make sense.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: Aster on November 04, 2021, 07:07:04 AM
"...could not walk because he was on crushes."

Well yes, if you're standing on a surface covered with easily-crushed items you might indeed want to stay put.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Harlow2

Tenant when what is meant is tenet.  I see this even at the grad level.

Also weary when wary is meant. 

Langue_doc

This is what happens when one relies on autocorrect instead of proofreading before printing or uploading the assignment.

mamselle

Or when Autocorrect goes in by stealth after you think you've checked everything and changes stuff behind your back.

My phone does that when I'm writing in French. I have to double-check everything twice before hitting send on a text because it refuses to 'learn' the words I use often enough that it ought to 'know them' by now.

(I know I could change languages, but finding the place to do that from keeps changing and making me mad..."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Quote from: Harlow2 on November 22, 2021, 09:04:54 AM
Tenant when what is meant is tenet.  I see this even at the grad level.

Also weary when wary is meant.

And some have used weary when leery is meant, because of the weary=wary misperception.

artalot

I haven't gotten this one in a while: tempura instead of tempera. Makes me want sushi while I'm grading.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis