News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Hello Dr. Fishprof,
I am interested in your [Behavior of Underwater Basket Weavers] course during the summer I semester. I do have a family vacation planned from June 12th - 23rd. If this prohibits my ability to succeed in your course please let me know. I am willing to make up any work and or complete any work while on vacation as well.
Thank you,
STU

Hmmm.  Six week filed-based course in which we meet 2x a week = 12 class meetings, and you are going to miss 3.  Yes, that is going to make it hard to succeed.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on May 06, 2024, 10:01:49 AMHello Dr. Fishprof,
I am interested in your [Behavior of Underwater Basket Weavers] course during the summer I semester. I do have a family vacation planned from June 12th - 23rd. If this prohibits my ability to succeed in your course please let me know. I am willing to make up any work and or complete any work while on vacation as well.
Thank you,
STU

Hmmm.  Six week filed-based course in which we meet 2x a week = 12 class meetings, and you are going to miss 3.  Yes, that is going to make it hard to succeed.

I never understand *how* the student plans to make up that much class in that short of a time (let's ignore the fact that your class has an essential field component).
They don't seem to understand that they have to work twice as hard to just barely get caught up.  That's challenging enough for an online, self-paced class.  Basically impossible for an in-person course.

secundem_artem

By the time I was an undergrad, I was no longer vacationing with my parents.  Seems like a lot of kids are not willing to fledge and leave the nest.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

poiuy

No opening greeting.

"Could you at least please grade the part of the assignment? Partial credit is better than no credit, please I'm so sorry for not turning it in by the due date. I had a 17 page paper due last week and a 15 page paper due last night so I've been burnt out completely. I've attached the partial assignment if you do choose to grade that part."

No closing.

Yeah, OK. It looks like Stu prioritized papers for their other classes rather than this one. Plus the paper was scaffolded over the semester to complete in steps to avoid the last minute rush. Plus multiple reminders given about time management and due dates.

I accepted the partial paper, gave it the grade it earned, and applied a late penalty.

downer

QuoteI'm not going to lie you have been one of my toughest professors! I feel that's a good thing because it challenged me to do better however like I said before I still feel I'm not a C+ student in these types of classes.

I am a bit concerned about this student's other professors. But maybe it's me.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

Quote from: downer on May 08, 2024, 08:07:04 AM
QuoteI'm not going to lie you have been one of my toughest professors! I feel that's a good thing because it challenged me to do better however like I said before I still feel I'm not a C+ student in these types of classes.

I am a bit concerned about this student's other professors. But maybe it's me.

Stu's writing suggests that C would be a very generous grade.

FishProf

Prof,
Why did I get a zero on the exam?
Stu

I don't have an exam with your name on it.  On any page.
FishProf
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: secundem_artem on May 07, 2024, 07:21:08 AMBy the time I was an undergrad, I was no longer vacationing with my parents.  Seems like a lot of kids are not willing to fledge and leave the nest.

Why not?  Many families still travel together, even when everyone is an adult.  Parents can typically fund a better trip than a student can afford on their own. 

mythbuster

The ones that boggle my mind are the vacations that include the entire first week of the semester. Given that our schedules are posted 2 years in advance- they really should know when the semester stats.

fishbrains

If I were Lord-God-King of the universe, all schools at any level receiving any federal funding would be required to have the same summer break, fall break, winter break, and spring break, so family members can take vacations at the same time. However, for better or worse, I am not at that level yet.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Hegemony

Quote from: fishbrains on May 08, 2024, 02:33:46 PMIf I were Lord-God-King of the universe, all schools at any level receiving any federal funding would be required to have the same summer break, fall break, winter break, and spring break, so family members can take vacations at the same time.

This is what happens in English primary and secondary schools. It means that everyone knows when families can go on vacation, and prices are raised accordingly. Which means that families take their kids out of school during term-time, so they can actually afford to go to the Lake District or on that quick jaunt to Paris. So ... not a good strategy after all.