News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

AI Score in Turnitin for the Term Papers

Started by sambaprof, December 11, 2023, 11:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambaprof

Hello,

I am doing Turnitin Analysis for the term paper for my Graduate course that I am teaching this semester.

I noticed that there is an AI score in the report that Turnitin generates...  I got scores between 0 and 100 for the reports I uploaded. Higher AI scores kind of correlates with the typical cheaters that I would suspect. Turnitin software also mentions that Percentage may not indicate academic misconduct. Review required.

Did you noticed that score and how do you deal with the high AI scores? Also how larger that score is a concern. Please advise.

Kron3007

Good luck trying to use it for anything.

Even the standard plagiarism score requires a deeper dive as sometimes it is missc-characterizing things.  I for example, long names can trigger is, mathematical formulas can, etc.

In that case, you can pretty easily look into the substance of it.  With an AI score, there is no real way of looking deeper, so it is pretty much useless IMO.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Kron3007 on December 11, 2023, 01:30:10 PMGood luck trying to use it for anything.

Even the standard plagiarism score requires a deeper dive as sometimes it is missc-characterizing things.  I for example, long names can trigger is, mathematical formulas can, etc.

In that case, you can pretty easily look into the substance of it.  With an AI score, there is no real way of looking deeper, so it is pretty much useless IMO.

Agreed. Not to mention that even Turnitin says their software is not entirely reliable.

I would just grade it on the merits of the essay. What I've seen is that student essays written entirely with AI tend to be pretty shallow, although those that were written with AI as a supplementary tool can be very strong.

fosca

I've found in many cases that TurnItIn flags what I would call "standard student boilerplate crap writing" as AI, so I disregard it. 

What I do in other cases is run it through a couple of other checkers.  If they all suggest something, I make a note of it and warn the student that I've found this and to make sure to not use AI/paraphrasers/etc in future work.  I've run into it more in rough drafts, and then I'm a bit more forceful about not doing it in the final copy--generally it hasn't shown up again. 

I also double-check all plagiarism notifications, since generally it's references or quotes or such, and if it's not I can often find it by Googling.

Parasaurolophus

I'm not seeing an AI score anywhere. Is it in your text-only report somewhere?
I know it's a genus.

RatGuy

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 13, 2023, 04:03:31 PMI'm not seeing an AI score anywhere. Is it in your text-only report somewhere?

Last year, our AI scores were listed in Turnitin's similarity report. I do not know if TII now requires you to pay extra or if our faculty resource dept just deactivated it, but in either case we no longer see the AI report. The office that handles academic misconduct and plagiarism has stated that they will not adjudicate instances of AI usage because it can't be proved with the TII software, but they will accept cases where students submit assignments with fabricated citations/evidence. It's not that it's AI-generated, but that the evidence or citations are fraudulent -- and that they CAN prove.