News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Prison education

Started by hester, March 10, 2024, 06:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Yes, good points.   As to what I would say to him if he were guilty, clearly and beyond doubt guilty (say he confessed in open court to having molested his stepdaughter), obviously our convo would have to be different.... I would have to tell him he would need to repent, and demonstrate his repentance with fruits meet for repentance, which in this case would be something like manning up and accepting his punishment).

I get what you are saying, apl, but what if anything would you say if he starts to say irrational things, and/or make irrational requests of me (he did something like this when he spoke to me after his conviction on the phone, from the county jail, when he still had regular access to a phone)?

ciao_yall

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 20, 2024, 09:26:40 PMYes, good points.  As to what I would say to him if he were guilty, clearly and beyond doubt guilty (say he confessed in open court to having molested his stepdaughter), obviously our convo would have to be different.... I would have to tell him he would need to repent, and demonstrate his repentance with fruits meet for repentance, which in this case would be something like manning up and accepting his punishment).

I get what you are saying, apl, but what if anything would you say if he starts to say irrational things, and/or make irrational requests of me (he did something like this when he spoke to me after his conviction on the phone, from the county jail, when he still had regular access to a phone)?

He probably has some mental health challenges. If he started saying things that were irrational, could you ask him if he has spoken to the prison psychiatrist?

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 21, 2024, 06:34:06 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on March 20, 2024, 09:26:40 PMYes, good points.  As to what I would say to him if he were guilty, clearly and beyond doubt guilty (say he confessed in open court to having molested his stepdaughter), obviously our convo would have to be different.... I would have to tell him he would need to repent, and demonstrate his repentance with fruits meet for repentance, which in this case would be something like manning up and accepting his punishment).

He probably has some mental health challenges. If he started saying things that were irrational, could you ask him if he has spoken to the prison psychiatrist?

That would be a good idea.  You could try steering the conversation back into a more rational direction.  It might or might not work.  You'd just have to try it and see.

It probably will not be an easy conversation.  But if it is something you feel led to do, then it's what you need to do.  Again, I will be praying for you and him on this.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on March 21, 2024, 07:26:47 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on March 21, 2024, 06:34:06 AM

That would be a good idea.  You could try steering the conversation back into a more rational direction.  It might or might not work.  You'd just have to try it and see.

It probably will not be an easy conversation.  But if it is something you feel led to do, then it's what you need to do.  Again, I will be praying for you and him on this.

Yes. Let us know how it went.

kaysixteen

Thank you.   I did tell him, on the phone, the last time I spoke with him (from the county jail before he got sentenced, where it was much easier for him to get phone access) that I thought he should take advantage of the opp to get psych counseling, even if he gets out now.  He did experience a bit of a crisis round about the first of the year, when his sentence date had to be postponed because he caught covid in the jail, and ended up in strict isolation for at least a week.  I am not sure that I got through to him, but will repeat it when I see him.