News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: fosca on September 01, 2023, 12:53:36 PM"My hobbies consist of ruining track and going fishing and usually I will travels to Myrtle beach SC  for vacation but now I don't know now that I'm in college but that just leaves up to new things to see."

I got a bunch of "Let's hand in this word salad and expect an A!" students this semester, for some reason.

On the other hand, what's the point of grading something like that for anything but doneness.

apl68

Quote from: fosca on September 01, 2023, 12:53:36 PM"My hobbies consist of ruining track and going fishing and usually I will travels to Myrtle beach SC  for vacation but now I don't know now that I'm in college but that just leaves up to new things to see."

I got a bunch of "Let's hand in this word salad and expect an A!" students this semester, for some reason.

Well...at least you know it wasn't done by ChatGPT.  It surely would have done a better job than that.

The part about a hobby of "ruining track" might actually be true, if the student likes to take a vehicle with a lot of torque out to the track and do burnouts.  If it's a dirt track, a four-wheel ATV would also be a pretty good way to ruin it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

fosca

Quote from: Caracal on September 02, 2023, 04:14:06 AM

On the other hand, what's the point of grading something like that for anything but doneness.

Essentially that's what I did; it's an Introduction forum, and I'm not allowed to grade on spelling/grammar unless it's completely unintelligible, which this isn't.  It doesn't make it easier to see this coming from college students who either don't care or think this work is just fine.

ciao_yall

Quote from: fosca on September 02, 2023, 04:40:12 PM

Essentially that's what I did; it's an Introduction forum, and I'm not allowed to grade on spelling/grammar unless it's completely unintelligible, which this isn't.  It doesn't make it easier to see this coming from college students who either don't care or think this work is just fine.

WHAT? Okay, on my 10/10 assignments that would have gotten a 9/10 with a comment that they needed to correct their grammar, as well as run it through a proofreader.

Can you at least comment to the student that they need to write more professionally?

fosca

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 02, 2023, 05:12:16 PM

WHAT? Okay, on my 10/10 assignments that would have gotten a 9/10 with a comment that they needed to correct their grammar, as well as run it through a proofreader.

Can you at least comment to the student that they need to write more professionally?

I've been told not to, because it discourages the students.  I did say something about it being really hard to understand because of the errors, but that's likely walking right up to the line. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: fosca on September 02, 2023, 07:58:04 PM

I've been told not to, because it discourages the students.  I did say something about it being really hard to understand because of the errors, but that's likely walking right up to the line. 

Discourages the students from what? /facepalm.

fosca

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 03, 2023, 09:26:04 AM

Continuing in class and thus paying tuition.

Caracal

Discourage is a bad way to put it, but I do think grading down on an intro post for grammar would come across as obnoxious. For later posts, it really depends what the purpose of these things is and what guidelines you have for them. I don't consider discussion posts and reading responses to be formal writing, I'm not trying to use them to get students to write better-I just want them to do the reading and think about it in some way.

I suspect this is a student who is failing to understand the difference between a text message to a friend and a post on a discussion board. This is probably going to carry over into other things and it would be a kindness to say something about the need to be more careful.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Caracal on September 04, 2023, 04:36:26 AM

Discourage is a bad way to put it, but I do think grading down on an intro post for grammar would come across as obnoxious. For later posts, it really depends what the purpose of these things is and what guidelines you have for them. I don't consider discussion posts and reading responses to be formal writing, I'm not trying to use them to get students to write better-I just want them to do the reading and think about it in some way.

I suspect this is a student who is failing to understand the difference between a text message to a friend and a post on a discussion board. This is probably going to carry over into other things and it would be a kindness to say something about the need to be more careful.

I made it clear to students that I expected clear writing and proper grammar and would mark down. I reminded them that they were in a professional environment. Further, there were students from different nationalities for whom English was not their first language, and if they did not write clearly their classmates might not understand them.

Maybe because I taught business, but I never got any pushback. Occasionally from foreign students in the beginning, but they knew where the writing lab was and soon did just fine.

fosca

Quote from: Caracal on September 04, 2023, 04:36:26 AM
Quote from: fosca on September 02, 2023, 07:58:04 PMI've been told not to, because it discourages the students.  I did say something about it being really hard to understand because of the errors, but that's likely walking right up to the line. 

True, and I wouldn't take points off for spelling/grammar on introduction anyway because it is a "do it for credit" sort of thing, but I'm not allowed to grade on spelling/grammar for ANYTHING. Including non-discussion assignments. 

Langue_doc

QuoteTrue, and I wouldn't take points off for spelling/grammar on introduction anyway because it is a "do it for credit" sort of thing, but I'm not allowed to grade on spelling/grammar for ANYTHING. Including non-discussion assignments.
QuoteThis is sad. What's wrong with your admincritters? Don't they want their graduating students to know how to put together a sentence, let alone well-constructed arguments, paragraphs, and essays?

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 05, 2023, 06:33:39 AM
QuoteTrue, and I wouldn't take points off for spelling/grammar on introduction anyway because it is a "do it for credit" sort of thing, but I'm not allowed to grade on spelling/grammar for ANYTHING. Including non-discussion assignments.
QuoteThis is sad. What's wrong with your admincritters? Don't they want their graduating students to know how to put together a sentence, let alone well-constructed arguments, paragraphs, and essays?

This is another example of why higher ed is losing its credibility among so many people in this country.  And why employers complain so much about the recent graduates of many schools.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

arcturus

Quote from: apl68 on September 05, 2023, 07:38:38 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on September 05, 2023, 06:33:39 AM

This is sad. What's wrong with your admincritters? Don't they want their graduating students to know how to put together a sentence, let alone well-constructed arguments, paragraphs, and essays?

This is another example of why higher ed is losing its credibility among so many people in this country.  And why employers complain so much about the recent graduates of many schools.

I've seen writing center staff caution against copy-editing student work, but it has always been ok at my place to include spelling/grammar as part of the grading rubric. At the very least, excessive technical errors (spelling/grammar) impede communication. As a consequence, any work that is littered with errors cannot earn a high grade in my class.

Sleepy72

"At least 85% of the employees are either men or women, indicating a strong skew in the gender balance (Kanter, 1977)."

I am so tempted to add a comment asking whether the other 15% are alien!!!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sleepy72 on September 13, 2023, 01:45:12 AM"At least 85% of the employees are either men or women, indicating a strong skew in the gender balance (Kanter, 1977)."

I am so tempted to add a comment asking whether the other 15% are alien!!!

What about all of the non-binary ones???? And all of the ones who identify as dragon-kin and attack helicopters??? Oh the non-genderity!

It takes so little to be above average.