News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: fleabite on December 03, 2023, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 03, 2023, 06:23:58 PMHere's another one:

"The terrain of Venus is relatively smooth with two continent like fetuses named Ishtar and Aphrodite."

This is superb! You made my day.

Sounds like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
It takes so little to be above average.

onehappyunicorn

I usually teach studio art classes but we needed someone to teach an art appreciation class last minute this semester and I got volunteered. It's been a while since I've had to grade student papers and while I'm ready to start drinking I have a few gems.

From two separate papers about The Persistence of Memory:

"Dali often used ants in his paintings to represent death and decay that he, himself symbolizes."

"This painting was not up for commission, which hints that Dalí was a surrealist."

I liked this one about another artist:
"The intense intensity radiating from the artwork established a profound and automatic connection..."
I would be disappointed to have apathetic intensity radiating for sure...

apl68

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on December 11, 2023, 03:13:41 PMI usually teach studio art classes but we needed someone to teach an art appreciation class last minute this semester and I got volunteered. It's been a while since I've had to grade student papers and while I'm ready to start drinking I have a few gems.

From two separate papers about The Persistence of Memory:

"Dali often used ants in his paintings to represent death and decay that he, himself symbolizes."

"This painting was not up for commission, which hints that Dalí was a surrealist."

I liked this one about another artist:
"The intense intensity radiating from the artwork established a profound and automatic connection..."
I would be disappointed to have apathetic intensity radiating for sure...

I can remember sentences like these from my TA days.  And in those days students didn't need online bots to generate writing like that for them!

"Intense intensity radiating" was indeed repetitious and redundant.  If the intensity is "radiating" then it's obviously intense, since apathetic intensity almost never has what it takes to radiate.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Liquidambar

Stu was explaining the reason why a fairly esoteric mathematical statement couldn't be true.  (Actually it was true, but that's beside the point.)

"This world wouldn't exist, humans wouldn't exist, and food wouldn't exist for that matter."
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

apl68

Quote from: Liquidambar on April 14, 2024, 10:09:25 PMStu was explaining the reason why a fairly esoteric mathematical statement couldn't be true.  (Actually it was true, but that's beside the point.)

"This world wouldn't exist, humans wouldn't exist, and food wouldn't exist for that matter."

In that case, I'm glad that the student was mistaken.  I'd hate it if food didn't exist, especially if I wasn't there to eat it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.