News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aspiring.academic

Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 01:02:04 PM
so for each individual division, there is no statistic for each year?

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 12:35:57 PM
Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
thanks,
do you know how many awards per program will be made every year?

There's no exact number. The program solicitation says about 450 awards.

There's no exact number of awards for each division.

You can go through the award search for each year to get an idea of the number of awards.

CAREER Funding Rate FY2017

CISE ~ 25%
GEO ~ 25%
ENG ~15%
BIO ~ 13%
EHR ~ 8%
MPS ~ 22%
SBE ~ 15%

*source - NSF

anxiety_rising

Is anyone in this forum from EAR? I have not seen anything posted re EAR career awards and I find this very strange. Any updates are much appreciated.

lightofhope

thanks

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 01:02:04 PM
so for each individual division, there is no statistic for each year?

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 12:35:57 PM
Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
thanks,
do you know how many awards per program will be made every year?

There's no exact number. The program solicitation says about 450 awards.

There's no exact number of awards for each division.

You can go through the award search for each year to get an idea of the number of awards.

CAREER Funding Rate FY2017

CISE ~ 25%
GEO ~ 25%
ENG ~15%
BIO ~ 13%
EHR ~ 8%
MPS ~ 22%
SBE ~ 15%

*source - NSF

helloworld

It's not specific to CAREER but I've noticed that once a date change is made (for a rejection), it takes weeks and even months for reviews be available. In the good old fastlane days, it used to be 3 days tops. Process seems to be taking longer and longer even when the decision is made.

ocean2428

I just spoke to my PD and it was a no to my career proposal (DMR). My reviews are VG/G/VG/VG. Does anyone know whether is there a cutoff that we need to get in order to recommend for an award?

docwalrus

Quote from: ocean2428 on December 12, 2019, 01:01:31 PM
I just spoke to my PD and it was a no to my career proposal (DMR). My reviews are VG/G/VG/VG. Does anyone know whether is there a cutoff that we need to get in order to recommend for an award?

I think the cutoff depends on the field and the panel, but I've heard that some PD's require at least one E.  I've received other awards with similar scores (VG) however.

I also have one pending with DMR.  Was this accompanied by a change in the status date in fastlane and released reviews, or have they already made decisions and are simply waiting to notify unsuccessful applicants?

Last round I waited until April/May for the decision which made revisions difficult.  If the decisions are already finalized I may reach out as well.

Nina Rogers

Quote from: ocean2428 on December 12, 2019, 01:01:31 PM

I applied to CMP as well and haven't heard anything.  Did it sound like decisions were already made/funded candidates were already informed?  Did you get the full comments or just the overview scores?

Your scores sound very good so hopefully you have a chance for next year!

Leeloo_Tenenbaum

Has anyone heard from CMMI (ENG)? Specifically BMMB

Thanks!

ocean2428

Nothing has changed in my Fastlane. All these happened over the phone. I have not seen the comments yet. PD said it will release most likely in January. Apparently they had panel reviews for all DMR career proposals last month. Sounds like they already concluded DMR-CMP career proposals ( I could be wrong but that is what I understood over the phone). PD has mentioned about the budget as well. He said by March they will know better about the NSF budget since the final bill hasn't approved yet. However, he specifically mentioned that they cant recommend mine. I guess they need better ratings as some of you mentioned at least one E. I am kind of surprised with my ratings I was expecting at least one E. I wonder this has something to do with my exciting Awards. This year I have applied to the DOE early career as well but all four reviewers said I have extensive funding from NSF and DOE more or less the same research but they are not. It was like a 10% overlap. Of course, I didn't see the DOE comments before I sent my NSF career. Otherwise, I would have included a paragraph explaining the situation. Has anyone of you experience this issue? This is really stressful since my institution would like to see (although they don't say it explicitly) a career award in order to get tenure.

humptydumpty

Quote from: roccabis@egr.msu.edu on December 13, 2019, 07:28:01 AM

Thanks!

I have the same question. I haven't heard any rejections nor recommendations for CMMI programs.

zhupeifen

Quote from: ocean2428 on December 13, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
Nothing has changed in my Fastlane. All these happened over the phone. I have not seen the comments yet. PD said it will release most likely in January. Apparently they had panel reviews for all DMR career proposals last month. Sounds like they already concluded DMR-CMP career proposals ( I could be wrong but that is what I understood over the phone). PD has mentioned about the budget as well. He said by March they will know better about the NSF budget since the final bill hasn't approved yet. However, he specifically mentioned that they cant recommend mine. I guess they need better ratings as some of you mentioned at least one E. I am kind of surprised with my ratings I was expecting at least one E. I wonder this has something to do with my exciting Awards. This year I have applied to the DOE early career as well but all four reviewers said I have extensive funding from NSF and DOE more or less the same research but they are not. It was like a 10% overlap. Of course, I didn't see the DOE comments before I sent my NSF career. Otherwise, I would have included a paragraph explaining the situation. Has anyone of you experience this issue? This is really stressful since my institution would like to see (although they don't say it explicitly) a career award in order to get tenure.

Thank you for sharing this information.
Do you know what is the date of the panel? The decision was being made during the panel meeting or after?
Thanks. I do not any experience>

taray

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 13, 2019, 10:16:46 AM
Quote from: roccabis@egr.msu.edu on December 13, 2019, 07:28:01 AM

Thanks!

I have the same question. I haven't heard any rejections nor recommendations for CMMI programs.

I am on the same boat as well 😊

zhupeifen

I was requested to send the updated current and pending support,  public abstract,  and revise budget within the two week before the Thanksgiving week. Until now, still no update.

Another applicant was requested to send public abstract on the Thanksgiving Week. His has already officially funded.

The same PO for these two proposals.

I am so worried about my proposal. What possibly happened?

Should I contact the PO and ask what is going on with my proposal?

zr10

I think the start date of the proposals makes your friends getting funded before yours. I've noticed that they always start funding the ones with earlier start dates. May I ask when was yours and your friend's start dates.

zhupeifen

Quote from: zr10 on December 15, 2019, 02:00:05 PM
I think the start date of the proposals makes your friends getting funded before yours. I've noticed that they always start funding the ones with earlier start dates. May I ask when was yours and your friend's start dates.

Mine is January 1.
His is much later than mine.