News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreck

Just noticed that my proposal status date was changed during the weekend, but the panel for my PD is today. Did anyone have a situation like this before? I know I am doomed. Just wondering why the status date could change right before the panel.  feeling really stressful...

bazinga58

My status changed to recommended today after 2+ months since submitting an abstract and answers to questions. About how likely is it to be funded now?

lightofhope

Congrats!!!

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 09, 2019, 04:38:37 PM
My status changed to recommended today after 2+ months since submitting an abstract and answers to questions. About how likely is it to be funded now?

rsbacon

Likely!

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 09, 2019, 04:38:37 PM

rusunyii

Quote from: wreck on December 09, 2019, 04:10:23 PM
Just noticed that my proposal status date was changed during the weekend, but the panel for my PD is today. Did anyone have a situation like this before? I know I am doomed. Just wondering why the status date could change right before the panel.  feeling really stressful...

Some panels are not shown on the webpage. It may be held before.

rusunyii

Many new awards are just for PI transfers. They got the award in the previous years and move to a new institution, and the site shows them as new awards with start date before January.

Quote from: rsbacon on December 07, 2019, 01:47:16 PM
I highly doubt these proposals were awarded without external review. That just goes against standard practice.  You do make the point I've been trying to make though: CAREER proposals submitted in July can have an award date and start date before January. There have been many examples of this.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:38:56 PM
I dunno. It's what I heard by well informed people.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 07, 2019, 01:31:34 PM
"Some of them didn't even go to external review"

Are you kidding me or I misunderstood your point, but how come they can be awarded without external review?

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
I was referring to the fact that these people all were awarded their initial CAREER awards within the first two months after submitting their proposals. Some of them didn't even go to external review. I could have been clearer about that, sorry.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 01:34:56 PM
PECASE is a little different.
Prior to 2015 the awardees were announced annually making it easier to work into the FY budget.
2015 - 2017 PECASE recipients were announced on July 2, 2019 making it likely that they were awarded out of the FY19 budget.
There's no practical significance to the timing of the PECASE awards.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 06, 2019, 12:48:27 PM
I have a question about aspiringacademic's point. I know a few people (all eventual PECASE winners) who submitted in July and were awarded before October. Does that mean they were a part of the previous year's award winners? What is the practical significance of this? Not that it matters in my case. (Still waiting to hear back from PD after sending in abstract 2+ months ago, well into FY2020 even though the budget hasn't technically passed yet. All my colleagues who say they envy my position don't understand how stressful this is.)

rsbacon

Right, but as other posters aptly pointed out, there are exceptions to every rule.

Quote from: rusunyii on December 09, 2019, 11:01:30 PM
Many new awards are just for PI transfers. They got the award in the previous years and move to a new institution, and the site shows them as new awards with start date before January.

Quote from: rsbacon on December 07, 2019, 01:47:16 PM
I highly doubt these proposals were awarded without external review. That just goes against standard practice.  You do make the point I've been trying to make though: CAREER proposals submitted in July can have an award date and start date before January. There have been many examples of this.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:38:56 PM
I dunno. It's what I heard by well informed people.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 07, 2019, 01:31:34 PM
"Some of them didn't even go to external review"

Are you kidding me or I misunderstood your point, but how come they can be awarded without external review?

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
I was referring to the fact that these people all were awarded their initial CAREER awards within the first two months after submitting their proposals. Some of them didn't even go to external review. I could have been clearer about that, sorry.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 01:34:56 PM
PECASE is a little different.
Prior to 2015 the awardees were announced annually making it easier to work into the FY budget.
2015 - 2017 PECASE recipients were announced on July 2, 2019 making it likely that they were awarded out of the FY19 budget.
There's no practical significance to the timing of the PECASE awards.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 06, 2019, 12:48:27 PM
I have a question about aspiringacademic's point. I know a few people (all eventual PECASE winners) who submitted in July and were awarded before October. Does that mean they were a part of the previous year's award winners? What is the practical significance of this? Not that it matters in my case. (Still waiting to hear back from PD after sending in abstract 2+ months ago, well into FY2020 even though the budget hasn't technically passed yet. All my colleagues who say they envy my position don't understand how stressful this is.)

zhupeifen

aspiring.academic

Quote from: zhupeifen on December 11, 2019, 09:59:50 AM
Do you know how many now?

About 88 have been published.

Mathematics & Physical Sciences - 18
CISE - 1
Geosciences - 2
Engineering - 53
Biological Sciences - 12
Education & HR - 2

Search criteria used:
reference code - 1045
award date on or after - 10/1/19
start date on or after - 1/1/20

zhupeifen

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 11:02:41 AM

CISE - 1
Geosciences - 2
Engineering - 53
Biological Sciences - 12
Education & HR - 2

Search criteria used:
reference code - 1045

Thanks!

lightofhope

thanks,
do you know how many awards per program will be made every year?

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 11:02:41 AM

CISE - 1
Geosciences - 2
Engineering - 53
Biological Sciences - 12
Education & HR - 2

Search criteria used:
reference code - 1045

aspiring.academic

Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
thanks,

There's no exact number. The program solicitation says about 450 awards.

lightofhope

so for each individual division, there is no statistic for each year?

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 11, 2019, 12:35:57 PM
Quote from: lightofhope on December 11, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
thanks,

There's no exact number. The program solicitation says about 450 awards.