News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsbacon

I see the flaw in my methodology. If you look at which PIs have active only vs. active and expired CAREER awards, it looks like two new awards have been made this cycle,  with award dates in September and November. Would not be the first time a PD awarded something they really wanted to fund early on in the process.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 03:28:55 AM
This is not quite accurate. CISE has not made many awards for this cycle yet. A deeper dive looking at results reveals awards with a start date of 2019 and ending in 2022 or 2023. This cycle's start date would be 2020 so it would reason to believe some of the awards showing up in the search are continuing awards from previous years and not necessarily new awards for this cycle.

Based on that, if you do a search for CAREER awards with a START DATE on or after 1/1/20 you'll find 1 award in CISE has been made, which is most likely correct.

Quote from: rsbacon on December 04, 2019, 06:14:03 PM
NSF Awards Advanced Search page. Reference code for CAREER is 1045.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 04, 2019, 06:01:43 PM
where did you see that? could you please post a link?

Quote from: rsbacon on December 04, 2019, 04:06:11 PM
It looks like about a dozen awards so far from CISE.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 04, 2019, 01:16:59 PM
Did anyone hear any news from CISE?

aspiring.academic

I'm still going to push you on this. Check when the initial amendments were to some of those awards and you'd find that they were earlier in the year, which would be a sign of a continuing award from a previous year. Even still with the revised methodology you see the difference between a dozen awards being made to 1, or 2. That's really all that matters here.

Quote from: rsbacon on December 06, 2019, 05:11:23 AM
I see the flaw in my methodology. If you look at which PIs have active only vs. active and expired CAREER awards, it looks like two new awards have been made this cycle,  with award dates in September and November. Would not be the first time a PD awarded something they really wanted to fund early on in the process.

This is not quite accurate. CISE has not made many awards for this cycle yet. A deeper dive looking at results reveals awards with a start date of 2019 and ending in 2022 or 2023. This cycle's start date would be 2020 so it would reason to believe some of the awards showing up in the search are continuing awards from previous years and not necessarily new awards for this cycle.

Based on that, if you do a search for CAREER awards with a START DATE on or after 1/1/20 you'll find 1 award in CISE has been made, which is most likely correct.

tobehappyprof

Thanks for the post! I like the scientific rigor in this thread. The end date seems to be more informative in this case, especially because all CAREERs are supposed to be 5 years.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 05:40:48 AM
I'm still going to push you on this. Check when the initial amendments were to some of those awards and you'd find that they were earlier in the year, which would be a sign of a continuing award from a previous year. Even still with the revised methodology you see the difference between a dozen awards being made to 1, or 2. That's really all that matters here.

rsbacon

I don't believe I said anything contradictory to your statement in my follow-up post. There are 2 awardees, one with an initial amendment date of September and another of November, and no prior installments.

aspiring.academic

Maybe I should have been clearer about what you actually said that was incorrect.

1) It is impossible for a FY20 CAREER award to be made prior to 10/1/19, as this is the start of the fiscal year. Government budgetary considerations dictate that a CAREER award for FY19 be made between 10/1/18 and 9/30/19 and therefore your 1st search result is indeed an FY19 award.
2) For FY20 awards the start date cannot be prior to 1/1/20. There's no hard fast rule about this aspect but there are several reasons why PDs push back on earlier start dates. Some of those reasons include budgetary appropriations and the lead time it takes for the university to receive the funds and allocate the necessary resources to manage the award. Additionally, there are the holidays and since the standard time for hearing about an award is 6 months, it is not wise to have a start date for a proposal that was submitted in July be an earlier than January.

With these two things in mind, if you alter your search you will see 1 CAREER award in CISE for FY20, which had proposals due in July 2019.

I hope this clarifies things for everyone.

If you wanted to conduct a search for FY20 awards to date, you'd do so with the following options entered into NSF's Advanced Search:

Reference code: 1045
Original Award Date: On or After 10/1/19
Start Date: On or after 1/1/20

Quote from: rsbacon on December 06, 2019, 09:29:08 AM
I don't believe I said anything contradictory to your statement in my follow-up post. There are 2 awardees, one with an initial amendment date of September and another of November, and no prior installments.

lightofhope

This is very helpful!!!
thank you.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 11:01:09 AM
Maybe I should have been clearer about what you actually said that was incorrect.

1) It is impossible for a FY20 CAREER award to be made prior to 10/1/19, as this is the start of the fiscal year. Government budgetary considerations dictate that a CAREER award for FY19 be made between 10/1/18 and 9/30/19 and therefore your 1st search result is indeed an FY19 award.
2) For FY20 awards the start date cannot be prior to 1/1/20. There's no hard fast rule about this aspect but there are several reasons why PDs push back on earlier start dates. Some of those reasons include budgetary appropriations and the lead time it takes for the university to receive the funds and allocate the necessary resources to manage the award. Additionally, there are the holidays and since the standard time for hearing about an award is 6 months, it is not wise to have a start date for a proposal that was submitted in July be an earlier than January.

With these two things in mind, if you alter your search you will see 1 CAREER award in CISE for FY20, which had proposals due in July 2019.

I hope this clarifies things for everyone.

If you wanted to conduct a search for FY20 awards to date, you'd do so with the following options entered into NSF's Advanced Search:

Reference code: 1045
Original Award Date: On or After 10/1/19
Start Date: On or after 1/1/20

Quote from: rsbacon on December 06, 2019, 09:29:08 AM

bazinga58

ECCS. Still no updates though. I think I'm officially in the gray zone.

Quote from: lightofhope on November 27, 2019, 03:19:10 PM
may I know what program you are in?
thanks

bazinga58

I have a question about aspiringacademic's point. I know a few people (all eventual PECASE winners) who submitted in July and were awarded before October. Does that mean they were a part of the previous year's award winners? What is the practical significance of this? Not that it matters in my case. (Still waiting to hear back from PD after sending in abstract 2+ months ago, well into FY2020 even though the budget hasn't technically passed yet. All my colleagues who say they envy my position don't understand how stressful this is.)

aspiring.academic

PECASE is a little different.
Prior to 2015 the awardees were announced annually making it easier to work into the FY budget.
2015 - 2017 PECASE recipients were announced on July 2, 2019 making it likely that they were awarded out of the FY19 budget.
There's no practical significance to the timing of the PECASE awards.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 06, 2019, 12:48:27 PM
I have a question about aspiringacademic's point. I know a few people (all eventual PECASE winners) who submitted in July and were awarded before October. Does that mean they were a part of the previous year's award winners? What is the practical significance of this? Not that it matters in my case. (Still waiting to hear back from PD after sending in abstract 2+ months ago, well into FY2020 even though the budget hasn't technically passed yet. All my colleagues who say they envy my position don't understand how stressful this is.)

ibuj67

Anyone has been asked to update their current and pending? Any insights as of what it means?

Thanks,

lightofhope

this means you will be funded soon, congrats!

Quote from: ibuj67 on December 06, 2019, 03:12:18 PM
Anyone has been asked to update their current and pending? Any insights as of what it means?

Thanks,

bazinga58

I was referring to the fact that these people all were awarded their initial CAREER awards within the first two months after submitting their proposals. Some of them didn't even go to external review. I could have been clearer about that, sorry.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 06, 2019, 01:34:56 PM
Prior to 2015 the awardees were announced annually making it easier to work into the FY budget.
2015 - 2017 PECASE recipients were announced on July 2, 2019 making it likely that they were awarded out of the FY19 budget.

lightofhope

"Some of them didn't even go to external review"

Are you kidding me or I misunderstood your point, but how come they can be awarded without external review?

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
I was referring to the fact that these people all were awarded their initial CAREER awards within the first two months after submitting their proposals. Some of them didn't even go to external review. I could have been clearer about that, sorry.

bazinga58

I dunno. It's what I heard by well informed people.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 07, 2019, 01:31:34 PM

Are you kidding me or I misunderstood your point, but how come they can be awarded without external review?

rsbacon

I highly doubt these proposals were awarded without external review. That just goes against standard practice.  You do make the point I've been trying to make though: CAREER proposals submitted in July can have an award date and start date before January. There have been many examples of this.

Quote from: bazinga58 on December 07, 2019, 01:38:56 PM
I dunno. It's what I heard by well informed people.

Quote from: lightofhope on December 07, 2019, 01:31:34 PM