News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Missing work due to religious reasons

Started by downer, Today at 05:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

Does your school require students who miss work due to religious reasons
A. to make a declaration of their religion to the school?
B. to make arrangements with the professor about when to do the make up work BEFORE the religious holiday, or within some specified time period after the holiday?

My school doesn't. It is rather inconvenient having to sort things out at the end of the semester, even after final grades have been submitted. Fortunately, it isn't a big problem. So far. I do wonder if students might start to take advantage of such an open policy.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

Students need to let you know well in advance that they won't be able to submit assignments on certain dates or days of the week. Assignments for my courses are usually due on Fridays by 5 PM or Sundays by midnight (assignments are submitted online) which helps students who observe the sabbath on Saturdays. If you have a sentence about your religious exemption policy in your syllabus, you shouldn't have problems with students taking unfair advantage of exemptions. We aren't allowed to ask for proof.

downer

I'm not sure whether requiring students to arrange alteratives to due dates for religious reasons is compatible with my school's policy.

I did check with the dept chair about a student who asked to be able to make up missed work after final grades were submitted, and the chair said yes, allow it.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

The only time I ever missed significant classes when I was an undergrad was when I took out two weeks early one November to go on a short-term mission trip.  It was not school-sponsored, but it was a church-supported school, and my profs were all understanding.  I let them know about the plans before time, and managed my work accordingly that semester to get everything done.  As I recall, it was all done informally through the individual instructors.  I didn't have to seek any special permissions.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

We have an extensive policy. It focuses on missing classes, not extensions on assignments -- students are expected to plan ahead to complete assignments working around their observances (instructors are responsible for making sure they have enough warning and lead time to do so). Certainly the policy would not allow making up any work after the semester has ended!

Quote1. Students are expected to review each course syllabus at the beginning of each term and inform instructors within the first two weeks of class if there are any potential conflicts due to religious observance. It is the student's responsibility to inform the instructor of these conflicts within the first two weeks of the semester. Students who miss class will be required to complete any work that is missed, and they may be required to submit additional assignments to make up for the missed class time.

2. Should a student need to miss class for religious reasons, the absence should be excused. Classes missed for travel plans are not considered excused absences. Only the dates of the holidays themselves are considered excused absences.

3. Students must be informed of any exams or due dates that fall on a date immediately after a religious holiday at least two weeks prior to such dates.

4. If classes will be missed, students must consult with their instructors and agree upon a plan to make up any excused absences. Such plans should be in writing and available to both parties.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

lightning

Quote from: downer on Today at 06:14:20 AMI'm not sure whether requiring students to arrange alteratives to due dates for religious reasons is compatible with my school's policy.

I did check with the dept chair about a student who asked to be able to make up missed work after final grades were submitted, and the chair said yes, allow it.

In absence of an official & published school policy, you can dictate terms of accommodating religious exemptions. It's a lot easier if it's specified on a syllabus. When in doubt, put it in your syllabus. Surely, you have some kind of general make-up policy for absences, missed work, missed deadlines, etc. . . . ?

As for the Chair letting someone make up work after a faculty member has submitted grades, that's not the chair's call. That's the faculty member's call. If a Chair wanted to do that at my place, there would be a hearing process first, via a formal grade appeal by the student, and by then a flake student wouldn't show up anyway, and the grade would stand (This is separate from any complaints about the chair's violation of governance, which if a professor is bored enough, would pursue that, too).

downer

To be fair to my chair, I just asked for their opinion. The chair was not telling me what to do.

Up to now, no student had tried to pull this one on me. I try not to anticipate problems until they happen.

I require documentation for most medical excuses but documentation doesn't seem to be appropriate here.

I will probably add a new para to my syllabi from now on.

Langue_doc

Submitting missed work after grades have been submitted and posted isn't fair to the other students in the class and also to the instructors concerned. Adjuncts would be grading and revising the grade roster on their time as most of them wouldn't be on the payroll after the end of the semester.

the_geneticist

We have a very detailed policy here. 

The key points are:
The student is responsible for contacting their instructors and arranging a reasonable plan for how to make up any missing assignments no later than the 1st 2 weeks of class.  We do not ask for which religious holiday/observation/etc. 

And this cannot be retroactive. 

I personally make sure that any due dates or deadlines are either: in class (e.g. turn in your quiz before you leave) or before Friday at 5:00pm.  Nothing is due Friday night-Monday morning.  Partially to be accommodating of religious & family time, but mostly because I don't answer emails on weekends.

kaysixteen

Exactly when are the high holydays of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Those desiring to use religious accommodations must needs realize that their god(s), etc., may well be calling them to make, ahem, actual sacrifices for so doing.   Certainly Jesus is  full of statements to this effect in the NT.