News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: cathwen on March 22, 2021, 03:49:06 PM
Bald eagle sightings are always exciting!  What a thrill for you and your mother. I've seen them around here, but infrequently.  Our daughter in Maine sees them on a fairly regular basis.

I saw two goldfinches today, perhaps fighting over turf. 

We've been hosting the Festival of House Sparrows.  They seem to like perching on the awning over our living room windows, and they chatter chatter chatter and fly back and forth all day.  I've been trying to determine whether there is a nest up in the mechanism—I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Because of the uncertainty, I've been reluctant to roll the awning down (windows face due west).  Also, the awning is in bad shape and needs replacing, but I don't want to disturb the birds!  I know that house sparrows are an invasive species, but I enjoy their antics.  I guess I'll wait until fall to replace the awning.  The world will not stop spinning on its axis.

I did not know that house sparrows are invasive.  And I, too, wouldn't disturb nests......I've had to watch porch plants die around a nests.

cathwen

I found the nest!  It's right up there, hidden in the workings of the awning.  I found it because I saw a piece of dried grass waft down past the living room window.  When I went out, I saw a clump of grass poking out from the awning mechanism—and then two house sparrows noisily exited.  Now we'll have to wait until fall to replace that awning, but since I can't roll it down anyway, few people will notice how ratty it is.

apl68

The birds are out in full spring force here.  I woke up at the same time they did this morning.  There was quite a variety within earshot.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: nebo113 on March 23, 2021, 05:37:42 AM
Bald eagle sightings are always exciting!  What a thrill for you and your mother. I've seen them around here, but infrequently.  Our daughter in Maine sees them on a fairly regular basis.

We've been hosting the Festival of House Sparrows.  They seem to like perching on the awning over our living room windows, and they chatter chatter chatter and fly back and forth all day.  I've been trying to determine whether there is a nest up in the mechanism—I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Because of the uncertainty, I've been reluctant to roll the awning down (windows face due west).  Also, the awning is in bad shape and needs replacing, but I don't want to disturb the birds!  I know that house sparrows are an invasive species, but I enjoy their antics.  I guess I'll wait until fall to replace the awning.  The world will not stop spinning on its axis.

I did not know that house sparrows are invasive.  And I, too, wouldn't disturb nests......I've had to watch porch plants die around a nests.

They are horribly invasive and destructive!  Between them and the starlings, we almost lost Eastern Bluebirds.  They not only compete with them for nest holes but will physically attack nestlings and adults.

Nebo, if you're careful you can water around the nest.  After all, they built there b/c of the cover from the plant - and coping with rain is just a normal part of nesting!

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 26, 2021, 10:13:22 AM

They are horribly invasive and destructive!  Between them and the starlings, we almost lost Eastern Bluebirds.  They not only compete with them for nest holes but will physically attack nestlings and adults.

Nebo, if you're careful you can water around the nest.  After all, they built there b/c of the cover from the plant - and coping with rain is just a normal part of nesting!

Thanks for both pieces of info.  I didn't water as I was concerned about disturbing them more than drowning them.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: nebo113 on March 27, 2021, 06:20:25 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 26, 2021, 10:13:22 AM

Thanks for both pieces of info.  I didn't water as I was concerned about disturbing them more than drowning them.

I don't think that occasional disturbance will bother most birds - professionals monitor nest boxes to weigh and band young, for example.

In other news, my new wren house seem to be hosting a pair of chickadees.  I think they're still incubating.  I've seen a discarded egg shell that was probably mourning dove, but no signs (regular trips to the feeder...) that anyone else has nestlings yet.

nebo113

Have returned home from Winter Quarters (even though last frost date is mid May).  Three pileateds out back!!!  Never seen more than one at a time.  Bluebird in front yard; hope it nests.

mamselle

Don't bluebirds like boxes?

I think I recall that from this book:

https://www.amazon.fr/Beakless-Bluebirds-Featherless-Penguins-Observations/dp/1878919059

Oh, I may have shared it before...anyway...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Over the weekend I saw pictures of a juvenile eagle that my parents photographed perching in their yard recently.  It didn't stay around for long.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on April 06, 2021, 09:47:21 AM
Don't bluebirds like boxes?

I think I recall that from this book:

https://www.amazon.fr/Beakless-Bluebirds-Featherless-Penguins-Observations/dp/1878919059

Oh, I may have shared it before...anyway...

M.

A blue bird box has been provided (for many years) for their cohabitation.  I did a lot of reading before I put it up....even measured the distance from the ground.  Got a bit anal about it, actually.  I've seen adults flitting in and out, but never seen babies emerge.  I do know they nest there, though.

cathwen

I saw a yellow-rumped warbler this morning, the first warbler I've seen this spring. 

And I *may* have seen a bald eagle--a large dark raptor-type bird with a white head.  It flew behind some trees before I could get a really good look.  But I don't know what else it could have been.

Langue_doc

That does sound like a bald eagle as hawks have darker heads. I saw one last week.

apl68

A bird at street side
Standing and looking around
Waiting for a bus?

sinenomine

This afternoon I took advantage of the lovely Spring weather and sat on the porch while writing an article. It's about a musical piece, so I was whistling passages as I wrote. As I whistled, about a dozen birds flocked around, perching on railings and shrubs and looking at me.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

I love that image.

Thanks!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.