News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

A formation of geese flew directly over me as I walked to work this morning.  Looks like they've decided that winter has been cancelled and are flying north again.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

There was a bald eagle in a tree by the river, and another very large bird, too. At first I thought it was a baldie too, but then I saw it had a dark head. Couldn't see it well apart from that. Maybe a golden eagle?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on December 21, 2021, 07:19:05 AM
A formation of geese flew directly over me as I walked to work this morning.  Looks like they've decided that winter has been cancelled and are flying north again.

Tell 'em to turn around and go back.

It's freezing up here (literally, just tuned 37 degrees, after a glacial 19-25 degrees last night...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on December 21, 2021, 07:55:16 AM
Quote from: apl68 on December 21, 2021, 07:19:05 AM

Tell 'em to turn around and go back.

It's freezing up here (literally, just tuned 37 degrees, after a glacial 19-25 degrees last night...)

M.

Can't blame the geese for being confused.  This weather has us all feeling that way.

I've seen wood ducks at the city park a few times lately.  And was honked at by the park's tame geese this morning.  Their wild cousins are SO much more inspiring!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

Earlier this afternoon, I caught a glance of something with dark-brown-and-white wings that looked a bit like a ruffed grouse flying up onto a low branch in the park next to my house.

By the time I'd stopped the car and looked back, it was gone.

mamselle

Quote from: paultuttle on December 21, 2021, 01:17:19 PM
Earlier this afternoon, I caught a glance of something with dark-brown-and-white wings that looked a bit like a ruffed grouse flying up onto a low branch in the park next to my house.

By the time I'd stopped the car and looked back, it was gone.

Was it this?

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/12/20/rare-asian-sea-eagle-massachusetts/

(kidding)...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Wood storks and ospreys in Winter Quarters....and as with Summer Quarters:  chickadees.

sinenomine

I encountered a bald eagle this morning while running errands; it was standing in the road, all of 20 feet in front of my car, and then flew off through an apple orchard. Very cool!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sinenomine on January 04, 2022, 01:07:10 PM
I encountered a bald eagle this morning while running errands; it was standing in the road, all of 20 feet in front of my car, and then flew off through an apple orchard. Very cool!

Definitely cool!

I saw five black vultures (looked like they were eating something on the side of the road) and, what I think were, two red shouldered hawks.

mamselle

I saw, first one and then several waterbirds with a lot of white and black...at first I thought possibly wood ducks, but looking them up, all the illustrations show more maroon and green and gold than I recall seeing.

They floated rather low in the water, and seemed smaller than the mallards I usually see...only other thing I could think of was a kingfisher but the only one I've seen in that area was much larger, and I think the colors are different, again, so....

Mystery bird, what art thou?

M.

cathwen

Several possibilities come to mind—scaups, goldeneyes, buffleheads, mergansers.  I used țo see all of these in winter when I lived in the Finger Lakes region.  Were they diving (disappearing under the water and reappearing) or dabbling (head underwater, rear sticking out above)?

If they were swimming in the water, they would not have been kingfishers.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on January 04, 2022, 03:05:23 PM
I saw, first one and then several waterbirds with a lot of white and black...at first I thought possibly wood ducks, but looking them up, all the illustrations show more maroon and green and gold than I recall seeing.

They floated rather low in the water, and seemed smaller than the mallards I usually see...only other thing I could think of was a kingfisher but the only one I've seen in that area was much larger, and I think the colors are different, again, so....

Mystery bird, what art thou?

M.

Knowing where you probably were, likely Common Mergansers. They are petty distinctive the way the float low in the water, and are certainly common there in the winter, often in company of mallards. Only the males are black and white though. The females have more of brown head and grey body.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Aha, thanks, yes, I forgot about mergansers....

The hooded merganser, here, is what I saw...or a very near cousin....

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/hooded-merganser

And they were definitely diving and tipping back up again like little seesaws.

Fora-wisdom does it again, thanks!

A friend who is a naturalist used to talk about seeing them out on a northern lake where we were both camp counselors (and did a 4 AM loon watch once, that was cool, too...) but I didn't see them then, myself.

In looking up options, earlier, I did identify as Mandarin ducks some very, very colorful waterbirds seen in Northern France a few years back, too.

Apparently imported, they were hanging about an open-air zoo near a very early watermill race (I'd been researching its 12th c. establishment as a bakery site for the nearby cathedral canons; a friend drove us to go see some of the early foundations for which there are account-book references in the archives)

Always had wondered what those were!

If I kept a life-list, I'd obviously add those to it...

M.

nebo113

Seeing lots of mergansers in Winter Quarters....and one Bald Eagle.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We have a good number of songbirds and other wildlife in the area- including Downy Woodpeckers. Unfortunately, I think there's one of the little shits making a nest cavity in my house. I love birds- really I do! I just don't want to share my house with them.