News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Face to Face Essay Exams

Started by HigherEd7, March 11, 2020, 01:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

How many essay or short answer questions would you give in a face to face class that is 75 minutes long? I have been thinking of developing a certain number of questions and letting them pick the questions they want to answer. Thoughts and tips are deeply appreciated as always.

Caracal

Quote from: HigherEd7 on March 11, 2020, 01:38:43 PM
How many essay or short answer questions would you give in a face to face class that is 75 minutes long? I have been thinking of developing a certain number of questions and letting them pick the questions they want to answer. Thoughts and tips are deeply appreciated as always.

Well, it depends on the format. I have essay exams that I give students the whole class for and they just answer one question, but I expect an in depth answer.

HigherEd7

I am looking at several different short answer questions that should take about a paragraph to answer or a little longer. I should have called these short answer questions.

nescafe

75 minutes is a lot less time than is needed for essay questions. I do take-home essay exams for this reason.

If you are doing short-answer-only, I would give them a question bank of 6 and ask them to choose four to answer. In my discipline, short answers come out to around 15 min a question for the average student, and you want to leave plenty of room at the end for the stragglers.

HigherEd7

Quote from: nescafe on March 12, 2020, 06:45:01 AM
75 minutes is a lot less time than is needed for essay questions. I do take-home essay exams for this reason.

If you are doing short-answer-only, I would give them a question bank of 6 and ask them to choose four to answer. In my discipline, short answers come out to around 15 min a question for the average student, and you want to leave plenty of room at the end for the stragglers.

Thanks for the tips great information