News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Students Getting Over

Started by HigherEd7, March 26, 2020, 08:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

Does anyone have those certain students that will try to get over on you? And if they don't get their way try to discredit you?

JCu16

Yes. Had this happen to me last semester (and because I teach the same students for two classes in their final year, I have the same student this time round). Student targeted me, and led effectively a revolt against me and decided that they were going to try and get the class to drop my SOS scores, and complained to the chair etc. etc. Succeeded in doing so, caused me a lot of angst, but made the mistake of expressing that they wanted me not to get tenure. The weird part, the student was getting a top grade in the class, was a research mentee that I'd spent a lot of time helping (was planning on faculty career), and seemed to resent me for the fact that I made them work hard for the grade. Was a very strange and uncomfortable experience.

HigherEd7

Quote from: JCu16 on March 27, 2020, 05:02:12 AM
Yes. Had this happen to me last semester (and because I teach the same students for two classes in their final year, I have the same student this time round). Student targeted me, and led effectively a revolt against me and decided that they were going to try and get the class to drop my SOS scores, and complained to the chair etc. etc. Succeeded in doing so, caused me a lot of angst, but made the mistake of expressing that they wanted me not to get tenure. The weird part, the student was getting a top grade in the class, was a research mentee that I'd spent a lot of time helping (was planning on faculty career), and seemed to resent me for the fact that I made them work hard for the grade. Was a very strange and uncomfortable experience.

I have been in this situation before if you do not fall for their B.S they talk bad about you and if you help them they talk about you as well. I had one student make a comment in my office and then write the same comment down on my evaluation. Then you have students who go on these rates my professor sites create a fake name and hammer you. If you have a problem let's talk about it.