News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBABM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All pretty easy words. Once is slightly obscure-ish but not one that only regular SBers would know. Like tomtit. SMDH.

Meanwhile, doing fine on 3fers and 2fer b4ss solutions. But the 2fer eludes me.

ab_grp

Congratulations, ciao_yall! Your birthday QBABM/Y! That is exciting and worthy of extra celebrating! Here's hoping for a 2fer!

And congrats on your QB, cathwen! And I'm hoping for a 2fer for you as well!

I also got to QB and still haven't gotten anywhere major with LB.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on March 29, 2021, 07:38:25 AM

Langue_doc, I got the same set of pairs! First curclicues-showdown, and I was excited to be able to use curlicues since it was one of my contenders a couple days ago.  Then just playing around with it later at night, I got churlish-hoedown.  And I really wanted to use unicorn(s), too! Or eschewed.   I guess I was on your wavelength yesterday!

I was aware of maillot swimsuits because I think they were a prominent topic at some point in one of my teen girl magazines.  I can't remember exactly what the context was, but I guess though French they have wormed their way in.

Oh yeah, we finally gave up and compared the bee and got a team QB.  I missed mortar and armorial (which I am positive I tried... I think I tried every possible combo of roots and embellishments).  Oh well! Didn't really start today's yet, but it has been pretty quick so far.  Agreed that it's not too fun.  Too much beekeeping.

Great minds think alike, and all that...

As for the bee, I know maillot from my French classes long ago, but didn't think that it would figure in the bee. Tomtit is a bird, so that wasn't too difficult.

Parasaurolophus, the pangram isn't too difficult, just a past tense of one of the words.

Congrats on the QB cathwen and ab_grp. It wasn't too difficult, was it? Common words for the most part. Rooting for you, ciao_yall in case you haven't made it to QB yet.

Here's to the successes. You can skip the first two minutes as the climax is after the second minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSmYAdiXb5M#:~:text=%22Gonna%20fly%20now%22%20or%20%22,by%20DeEtta%20and%20Nelson%20Pigford.

ciao_yall

SB - screen-shot the QB to commemorate the event.

LB - 3fers and 2fers b4ss are coming out of my ears. Well if cathwen isn't there yet I don't feel so bad. Either it will jump out at me or I'll pop over to the online solver for a hint.

ab_grp

Definitely screenshot, ciao_yall! And good luck.  I hope you get your 2fer.  I've got 20 contenders, but a solution ain't one (unless I'm missing it).

ciao_yall

Okay, I'm ready to send out via PM my 3fers and 2fer b4ss solutions.

Or I could post them here?

Let's see if we can do this without going to the nytimes solver.

ciao_yall

Okay, now I'm getting server errors in the message feature. The LB gods are not letting us make this easy, are they?

ciao_yall

I think I sent it, but it's not in my outbox so I can't be sure.

Langue_doc

cathwen

I am admitting defeat.  This LB has me completely flummoxed.  Good luck to those still working on it!

ab_grp

I got to 27 contenders and will try also with ciao_yalll's PM words I hadn't tried.  Husband trying too. On my phone so will report if I get something.  A tough LB! Good luck!

Langue_doc

I gave up on LB, but crosswords are done.

ciao_yall

Went to the solver site. http://letterboxed.aliceyliang.com/

None of the words I sent you, nor any of cathwen's contenders, worked.

That said, there was only one solution which was rather unbalanced, which might be why we had so much trouble.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Amazing with one pangram.

I'm not surprised that none of us found the LB words.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

So none of us got LB yesterday!  Wow.  When has that ever happened?

I'm back to my usual pattern—stuck at amazing on SB with the pangram, and a 2fer for LB.