News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Up to 37... one just playing with letters, 3 that I remembered after looking at the 2-letter grid. 6 left to go.

cathwen

You'll get there, ciao_yall! 

By the way, I was never a Prom Queen, either.  Heck, I wasn't even a contender! 

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer!

Good luck on the bee, ciao_yall! I wasn't in the running for prom queen, but one of the contenders wore the same dress as me.  Model and now actress! It was grand. /s

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab_grp!  What did you get?  Mine was champagnes-saliva

SB:  genius with pangram.  I might be out most of the day, and if so, will probably not get back to it. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - new words: adamancy, canid and the rest I should have known.

LB - champagne-evils which was official. Someone was feeling a bit Puritan when they created this puzzle? Also had two 2fss mavens-schlepping and pavings-schlemiel.

Happy solving! Going for a hike for the first time in over a year (fires, then pandemic) with a group of nice people I lost touch with. So looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Didn't get to complete the bee last night; haven't looked at the solutions yet.

Late morning, got to genius and a pangram.

champagne/evils

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night and just completed vertex.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got the schmofficial solution too, champagne-evils.  It took a while to figure out how to use up so many tough letters.  I tried for other solutions, but no luck.  I'm glad you got a different one than the rest of us, cathwen! And congrats on your 2fer yesterday, Langue_doc! Sorry I missed mentioning that while on my phone last night.

Struggling with the bee, lots of beekeeping.  I'm at 228, so not at Alpha, but I'll try more later.  My final words yesterday were canid and minyan.

Have a great hike with your friends, ciao_yall!

Off to do sudokus and see what LB has in store.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

So far...

SB - Amazing with pangram and a few SB specials. So it will be a slow one today.

LB - lots of 3fers and one 2fer b4ss.

Langue_doc

Try prefixes and suffixes. Also archaic plurals.

ab_grp

Now I have three words left in the bee (260).  As usual, I am unhappy with the inconsistency of what is accepted or not.  Will try more later! Yep, lots of prefix and/or suffixes to try.

Still have hard sudoku and haven't looked at LB yet...

Langue_doc

Lopsided twofer, but was accepted.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, Langue_doc!

I just got a 2fer as well, not lopsided, so maybe I'll try for others as practice later, since it sounds as though there is more than one.

Haven't gotten back to the bee yet.

Langue_doc

Congrats to you too, ab_grp. There are probably more twofers lurking around, given the possible endings. I didn't need the ending though.

I think I need four more words for the bee. Almost all the words so far have appeared on previous puzzles.

ETA QB! I needed only three words.

ab_grp

Thanks, and good luck on the bee, Langue_doc! I have one more word left, which husband has found (he made it to QB), but I am still struggling with it.  It's kind of a tiring puzzle trying to figure out what to try with the prefixes and suffixes.  But I think all the words I have so far have been in there before or are words that are not too obscure.

ETA: I was going to mention that I also did not use the ending that I thought I would have needed to solve LB (maybe the ending you're referring to), so I might try for some with that one.  But when I looked back at the puzzle, I swear the font is different.  Is it just me? I just looked at my phone, which has yesterday's and that is sans serif font (same as when I just reloaded it to today's puzzle), whereas when I just reloaded on my computer the font had serifs.  Hmm.  Maybe they have always been different fonts.

ciao_yall

SB - genius but a slog at this point. May check the shunn site. ETA: shunn site points out that I am wayyyyyyy off. ab-grp I may check again if you say they are not too obscure.

LB - 2fer and a few b4ss solutions. Langue_Doc, my 2fer was pretty evenly balanced.

Great city walk/hike today, but I R bushed!