News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

It's so interesting which pangrams pop out immediately and which are a struggle. Today's popped out at me first thing.

Per the LB discussion--I love jackfruit. It makes excellent vegetarian version of "pulled pork" due to the stringy texture. We usually buy it in cans though. You can find the jackfruit in brine at Trader Joes.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Got to genius with the pangram. I don't know how I'm going to find the remaining words.

QB yesterday; found dicta because I mistyped dictat.

hymns/somnambulist

OneMoreYear, it's weird how I find words as sometimes the letters just arrange themselves and on other days it takes a long time to find words that I've encountered before. Just the other day, I found buoy right away, but buoyant was one of my last words.

As for jackfruit, I like the ripe fruit and get the fresh kernels from our local non-chain grocery store. I've also found that canned tropical fruit and related products are less expensive in Chinese, Indian, and other ethnic stores.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

OneMoreYear welcome!

SB - My last word was diacritic. Got a definition from the wordplay blog, had no idea what those thingies were called, Googled "what are those prononciation markers called" and boom. Queen.

LB - myths-somnambulist. Wow, we weren't even close to the schmofficial solution! Did anyone else think of that old Dick Van Dyke episode when Jerry Van Dyke guest starred?

Seem to be 99% recovered from TDAP - I should make it to the gym tomorrow for the first time this week.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

QBABM! Woot.  Langue_doc, you will get there! No tough words today that I can recall.  I think didactic was one of my final words yesterday for whatever reason.  I had didact and tried something like didactacy... durr.  It's very true that some pangrams seem to pop out and others just take quite a while.  I have been trying to not shuffle until I hit genius, and sometimes that is not a great approach.

For LB, I had somnambulist-thy.  At some point I tried humbly but didn't see a mate.

Congrats, Parasaurolophus!

And I'm glad your arm is feeling better now, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I also had somnambulist-thy for LB yesterday.  Sadly, I do not yet have a 2fer for today.

As for SB, I am currently at QB-2, hoping that the two remaining words unscramble in my brain.

Ab_grp, congratulations on the QBABY! (=all by yourself). 

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen! You will figure the final two out! And I'm sure a 2fer is on the way for you as well.

I have tried a couple LB words, but all have b4ss issues so far.  And struggling with medium sudoku?! Yeek.

cathwen

Ab_grp, I also struggled with the medium sudoku—and I usually get that fairly quickly! 

I haven't been back to the other puzzles yet.  For LB, I have two great words that use all the letters, but they don't fit together at all.  I haven't been back to SB yet.  To be continued!

ab_grp

I'm both sorry to hear that you struggled and happy that it wasn't just me, cathwen.  Whew! Finally found a way in, and then it didn't take too long, but I just wasn't getting very far for a while.  Hopefully the hard one will be easier.  Sounds like you have ships in LB!

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram, 3fer, and 2fer b4ss. So at the usual slog point where I decide if I want to hit shunn or what.

ETA: WATHICG still missing IN5 to get to QB.

Langue_doc

QB at last. ab_grp, thanks for the info about no difficult words, which helped me persevere.

No luck on SB, alas, I think it's a lost cause today.

cathwen, hope you found your twofer. ciao_yall, glad your arm's better and you got both puzzles..

Autocorrect, it isn't Cathleen, you dope, aaargh!

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc, and I'm glad the encouragement helped!

I vacuumed my office, put together a drawer cabinet, and put stuff in it, among other things, so I've been productive but have not spent enough time on LB yet.  Will try later.  At least the hard sudoku wasn't as bad as the medium one.

Good luck, ciao_yall!

Parasaurolophus

Phew, got to genius again. The mojo is returning!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB. Finally found the last word.

LB - a few 3fers but no progress so went to the solver site. Found one word but not the other, not sure if I would have found it on my own.

cathwen

Good morning!

I missed QB by one word yesterday—tingeing.  I think it was the -e + -ing that threw me off.  Congratulations to all the QB successes!

Today I am at genius with all four pangrams.  This will be a sloggy one.  Maximum score 271!

As for LB, I could not find a 2fer yesterday.  But I did find one today!

Happy puzzling, everyone!