Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen! Congrats on your QB!

Good luck, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I think your cataract surgery is tomorrow... if so, I hope it is an easy and smooth procedure and recovery! Sending lots of good wishes! If I got that wrong, then I'm still sending you good wishes. :-)

ciao_yall

QB, learned some new words.

LB with help from solver. Had some good words that used up a lot of letters and made 2fer b4ss but alas, couldn't tip over the edge. Well, tomorrow is another day!

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp, for the good wishes. The surgery is only about15 minutes, but I was warned by a friend that your body goes into shock, so I should take it easy for at least a week.

Not sure if I'll be able to do the puzzles tomorrow and the day after.

I'm getting ready for the fasting after midnight by putting away the coffee maker and the water lest I forget and inadvertently drink water or make coffee in the morning.

Parasaurolophus

Good luck with the surgery, and may you  be eagle-eyed thereafter!

I've fallen a little short on SB, but only because I've run out  time.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Thanks, Parasaurolophus, for the good wishes, especially the eagle-eyed part.

Past genius with the pangram.

uplights/scram; didn't think the first one was a real word, but was accepted as such.

Happy solving, all!

Now to set up Uber on my phone for the trip back--trip's arranged, but I need to set it up all the same.

ciao_yall

Morning!

New words were codon and covey. I'm a ways away from QBAM but learning a lot of new words which will come in handy if I ever decide to study genetics or properly identify a group of pigeons.

Ended up in LB with some help with catharsis-sugarplum. I had lots of 2fer b4ss including pugilistic-charm, pragmatism-mulch, pragmatics-slush. Wonder if I ever would have found pharmacist on my own?

Happy healing Langue_doc and happy new vision! Friend of mine had that surgery and was amazed at the result.

Happy solving, everyone!

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius last night after posting. Nearly there this morning.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Made it to QB but compared first letters for our final words.  We had a team QB and both found our last ones without too much trouble.  Congrats on making it over the hump, Parasaurolophus!

No luck on LB despite a bunch of good contenders.  Argh! I did not come up with the schmofficial solution components at all.  Congrats on all your 2fers!!

Wow, Langue_doc, I had no idea cataract surgery had those kinds of requirements (like fasting)! I guess I thought it was similar to lasik, which I have had.  My mom and MIL have both had cataract surgery, but I mostly knew about the after care parts (mostly eye drops and follow up visits).  Good idea to put your coffee maker away.  I also have routines that are hard to break in those circumstances without some help from my planning self.  ;-) I'm glad you have a ride in preparation.  Will be wishing you a great day, and I also hope your vision is greatly improved.  But now you will be trouncing us even more in puzzleland! That's a fine outcome, though.   Will be thinking of you and continuing to send good wishes your way!

Yesterday was so busy (with a possible electrical fire on top of it, which happily did not occur... the ozone smell caused a little panic) that I only got today's easy sudoku done, so I have the other two to take care of.   And will try LB again.

cathwen

Good morning (almost afternoon)!

Late start this morning because of a doctor's appointment. 

Langue_doc, I'm adding my good wishes for the cataract surgery! 

Like Langue_doc, I also had uplights-scram for yesterday's LB.  I also was surprised that uplights was accepted as a word.  I like ciao_yall's solution! 

I made QBABM this morning for the first time ever!  But I as yet have no solution for LB.  I've come close, but always have one hanging letter that I just can't seem to fit in. 

Good luck to all!

ab_grp

Yeah! Congrats on the QBABY, cathwen! And good luck on the LB, not that you need it. :-)

Got medium sudoku out of the way and will work on the hard one once husband shuffles off to work.  Didn't do much with LB besides write the letters down, yet.

Parasaurolophus

Well into Beta now. Phew!

Congrats, cathwen!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Congratulations on Beta, Parasaurolophus! 

No solution to LB yet!  Ciao_yall, maybe I do need some luck after all.  So close, and yet so far...

ciao_yall

QB, WALTHICG. I probably could have done it on my own because no unfamiliar or new words. Lesson learned from cathwen - keep at it!

LB - 2fer! Yay!

cathwen

I just got a 2fer, too!  This was a hard one.  My solution is kind of odd—so I'll be eager to see what you found.

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your QB!  A QB is a QB, help or no help. 

ab_grp

Hooray, Parasaurolophus!!

Congrats, ciao_yall, on your QB!

And congrats to ciao_yall and cathwen on 2fers! I still need to give that a try.  Sounds kind of tough, though.

I forgot to mention earlier that I was surprised convo wasn't in the bee yesterday given dunno, wanna, gonna, doggo, journo, fanfic...