News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Correction - one word was a new word for me. So I'm not that awesome yet.

cathwen Mine is a little strange as well.

Parasaurolophus Join us at QB. We have cookies.

cathwen

Good morning!

Today I am at amazing with the pangram and already stumped!  Even genius seems far away, and QB seems highly improbable. 

As for LB, my solution yesterday had a Mexican/Spanish language theme:  chimichanga-abrazos.  The second word was tried in desperation; I was sure it would be rejected.  I found a 2fer today, too, and on the first try!  That makes my sluggish performance on SB sting a little less.

Ciao_yall, I wonder if your 2fer yesterday is the same as mine?  Or strange in a different way?

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - dryad was my new word. This morning, amazing with pangram and yeah, it's a slog.

LB - branching-gizmos which was the official solution so congrats to me on being basic. cathwen wow! Nice connection with the pangram from the other day! Congrats on your quick 2fer - I have a few quick 3fers with words that eat up a lot of letters so hope to get there soon. ETA: 2fer!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have 5 more words to QB but am currently stumped so will return to it later.

Congrats on your 2fers! Cathwen, it's awesome that you worked the recent pangram in!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

ab_grp I just tipped into genius. Are there any "bee specials" you have noticed so far? Trying to decide when to visit shunn... though the day is still young.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I just got back to it and have 4 words left, but so far there are a bunch that I would consider to be bee words.  Some are in there pretty often, and several others are less frequent but have appeared fairly recently.  I feel like we had all or more of these letters in a recent puzzle, and I know some of the words were difficult for us.  There was another word that I kind of guessed at early on.  I think I will be going to Shunn soon! I wanted to try to get to Alpha before comparing with husband or Shunning, but I just barely got there so might be on my way soon...  With 61 words, I don't think there's any shame in Shunn.

I did finally get a 2fer!

ciao_yall

I hit shunn and am missing a lot of words. The 2 letter count did trigger one obvious one I was missing.

So maybe I'll hit the Wordplay definitions later.

cathwen

I'm at Beta with 6 words to go, and I've been Shunning like crazy.  A number of bee words, eh?  Must look harder!

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab_grp!  And on getting to Alpha!

ab_grp

Thanks about the 2fer, cathwen! I feel like it's been a while for me.  And just remember that they are bee words in my opinion only! :-)  There have been plenty of times when folks here have had no trouble with words that I have never heard of or was not super familiar with. 

When we were both finally at Alpha (with the same # words and points!), we compared first letters and each gave each other a letter (I found mine, but he hasn't found his yet).  I have two more words left, but we haven't looked at Shunn yet and won't until he's back from work since he can't take his phone in due to security (which I guess is a good thing for their work productivity but bad for my bee productivity!).

Good luck!!

ciao_yall

QB! It took remembering a weird word from a previous puzzle, shunn, a few flashes, and slogging through the Wordplay definitions for some reminders and new words.

The streak continues.

Parasaurolophus

Not today, I'm afraid. Am stumped short.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Genius but no pangram yet.

Two-fer already!

Taking it easy for a couple of days.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Yay! Hi, Langue_doc! You've been missed.  :-) Hope your recovery is going well and that you can take the time to rest.  Glad to hear from you, though!  Congrats on your 2fer!

I have two words left today, so we'll see.  I think railbird was our final one yesterday.

My LB was necklaces-shivered, which was not schmofficial.  What did everyone else get?

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Welcome back, Langue_doc, and congratulations on your 2fer!  And congratulations to ciao_yall for the QB!

Yesterday's SB did not reach QB.  I should have seen libido right away, but did not; same for arborio.  I also missed railbird and that bee-word that I now remember seeing before:  larboard.  It was in a recent SB, too!  Perhaps next time I will remember it.

Today's SB is at Alpha with three words to go.  I'll be mulling those over all day, because I am stumped.

As for LB, I got varnished-deckle yesterday, similar to the "official" solution.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Learned some new words: railbird, biradial, bilabial and maybe I should try words I think are in Spanish like barrio or Italian proper names such as arborio.

Yesterday: knackered-devilish

Welcome back Langue_doc! Already crushing it!