News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Went to shunn, saw I was missing 2 long H-words. Boom highlight and highlighting and Queen. Road trip starting tomorrow so I will do QB WATHICG today, then go back for aiming for ABM since I'll have limited computer time.

LB - gauche-extremity which was official.

Just getting started with puzzles today so will check in later.

Parasaurolophus Yes, and I wish the pangram would flash a little more so we could enjoy it longer!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations, ciao_yall, ab_grp, and Parasaurolophus, on your successes!

I did not find a 2fer for LB yesterday, but I have one today.

As for SB, I am at amazing with the pangram, and already running out of ideas.  It will undoubtedly be a Shunn day for me, but I will persist a bit longer.  My goal is to at least make genius ABM.

Happy puzzling, everyone, and enjoy your road trip, ciao_yall!

ciao_yall

cathwen yeah, it's a long one today. I tend to get tired after 30-ish words. Maybe that's the size of my short-term memory? At Amazing with pangram but hope to tip into Genius before the coffee runs out.

3fers are starting so hope a 2fer is nigh...

ab_grp

Good morning!

I'm 5 words from QB but not at Alpha.  Husband is beating me on points (also not at Alpha), and I am beating him on words.  Maybe we have team QB, but we will try independently a bit more to see where we can get before he goes in to work.  I think my final ones yesterday were ninth and then tithing.

Congrats on your 2fer yesterday, ciao_yall!  I had so many contenders, and good ones! No luck.  And I don't think I came up with either of the solution components.  Oh well, maybe today will work out better.

And congrats on already getting a 2fer today, cathwen!

And congrats on getting there again, Parasaurolophus!

Hope your road trip goes well, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Congrats on team QB, ab_grp!

Just tipped into Genius, and still lots of 3fers but no 2fer yet.

ab_grp

Thanks, ciao_yall, but I'm not sure if we have it yet or not.  Before he left, we gave up and compared first letters, and I think he gave me three and I gave him four.  But I needed 5 words, and he needed 6, so we may both be missing the same two words? He just got home, so we will resume our attempts shortly.  Maybe your thanks will seal the team QB. 

Good luck on LB! I hope a 2fer comes your way soon.  I haven't had too much luck today even with getting good contenders.

Parasaurolophus

Got to the end of the hallway in the end. Phew! Am somewhere in beta now.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB WATHICG, and some new words.

LB - hit the solver site for a nudge. I had one word but not the other. cathwen I wonder if we have the same one? Not many choices on the solver site so probably so.

Parasaurolophus, ab_grpand ab_spouse you all got farther than I did ABY!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Two pangrams and above genius today. Above genius yesterday and QB the day before. Above genius on the other days.

Haven't looked at the crosswords in a week.

As for bobolink, we saw more than twenty-five of those on one of the bird walks in May. I recognized the breeding males https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bobolink/id but had to have the females pointed out to me.

Still in vacation mode. Walked, bushwalked, went canoeing, to the beach, saw several species of birds, deer, all interspersed with good food. It's good to be back though.

On the drive out, encountered a few episodes of "frog stranglers" (apologies to apl68 and ab_grp).

Happy solving all, and stay dry/cool depending on your weather.

ciao_yall

Morning! Welcome back, Langue_doc!

SB - new words were arcadia, cardioid and the rest were ones I overlooked. So the streak continues, but I'll be on a road trip with limited computer access, so back to GABM. Maybe I'll achieve QBABM?

LB - humpback-kitchen which was official and pretty much all the solver site had. I had gotten kitchen and some combinations of -back- and  -hump-. Oh well, onward!

Gotta finish packing and then we had off for our own road trip. Will check in from time to time.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Enjoy your road trip, ciao_yall. Sending you good vibes and wishes for safe road conditions, and good weather.

cathwen

Good morning!

Langue_doc, welcome back from your vacation!  It sounds so relaxing.

Ciao_yall, enjoy your road trip! 

My LB yesterday was the same as the "official" one: humpback-kitchen.  I do not yet have a 2fer today.

SB today stands at genius with two pangrams.  Yesterday, I missed cardioid and (annoyingly) carload.  I was surprised that it took arcadia, as I always thought that was a place name.  Congratulations to those who got QB, with or without help!

Now back to LB to see if I can find a 2fer.  I have a number of good words, but none that fit together. 

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We got to team QB today without Shunn after comparing letters when we each had two words left of the same lengths.  They ended up being different words, though.  My final one was not a tough one at all! I don't think there were any real bee words in the list.  Yesterday we both ended up missing one word which I finally guessed (corrida).  So definitely an impure team QB for that one, as we exhausted all Shunn options to get to that point.  I thought we'd have to give up and look at the answers.  Good luck all around! At least it's a short one (though that does not always mean easier).  There are a couple words they never take that I keep trying.

For LB yesterday, I finally got to kitchen later in the evening but couldn't find a mate.  Congrats on your solutions, ciao_yall and cathwen!

Welcome back, Langue_doc! That sounds like a very nice trip aside from some wet weather.  I used to love canoeing! I would say your are definitely the bird master.  The breeding male has the colors of a bird I've seen around here, but apparently that would be unlikely from the maps.  So glad to hear you had a good time (and glad you're back!), and I hope post-vacation tasks aren't too arduous. 

Wishing you safe travels, ciao_yall! And I will keep an eye out for your check-ins.

Seminar got pushed to Monday, so I'll work on sudokus for a bit and try at the LB, though it sounds more difficult today.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Did anyone see this McSweeney's today, the procedural novel written after ten hours on the bee? Kind of funny.
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-passage-from-taceipv-my-police-procedural-novel-written-after-playing-the-new-york-times-word-game-spelling-bee-for-ten-consecutive-hours

I've got a good list of LB contenders, but no successful mating yet.

ciao_yall

Genius with 2 pangrams and just shy of Alpha, ABM. I think I'm missing 2 words but I'm being stubborn about not going to Shunn.

Also got a 2fer.