News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last two words were hiya thanks to Langue_doc and itty with a nudge from Shunn. Genius this morning but no pangram yet.

LB - gambits-soliloquy as well, and a 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Thanks again to Langue_doc for such great hints for LB.  I really like that solution, too! Good words.  It was a nice little assisted win at the end of a tough workday.  Congrats on getting one today, ciao_yall!

I got to QBABM with the pangram as my final word! I had been trying something like it over and over.  I was really struggling even to get to genius for a while.  I don't think the words were that difficult, but I just wasn't seeing them.  Husband followed shortly thereafter, though he had gotten the pangram a while before me.  I think hiya was my final word yesterday.  Dumb.  Langue_doc, I remembered chanty because there was that one day when it was in the crossword and in the bee, which is the only reason I found it that day.  I guess like a sea chanty song?

Still have the harder two sudokus today and catch up on Duo.  And get housework done! But no work work.  Yay!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB and two-fer. Familiar words in both puzzles.

ETA woohoo ab_grp! The pangram was difficult.

ab_grp

Congrats on QB and a 2fer, Langue_doc! I guess you bested that Q!

ab_grp

Thanks. Langue_doc! I really struggled with it! Unfortunately, the very similar word I had in mind was in the dictionary, so I had trouble letting go of it and trying something else along those lines.  The whole dang puzzle I kept trying it.  :-(  Whew!

And I got a 2fer! And got sudokus done.  I was kind of afraid that today would not be a great puzzle today after how tough the bee was for a while.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc!

As for me, I am at QB-2.  I made QB yesterday with a couple of probably unnecessary nudges from Shunn.

My LB solution yesterday was also gambits-soliloquy.  And I have a 2fer today.   

Onthefringe, the words that LB accepts/rejects are a continual mystery.  I've gotten 2fers with words that seem sketchy to me.  Other times, words that I *know* are words are rejected.  Ah well...

ab_grp

Good luck on the bee, cathwen! I hope you get your QB or got it! And congrats on your 2fer today!

Langue_doc, I think your eye day is tomorrow? If so, sending more good thoughts your way for another smooth procedure.

Parasaurolophus

Genius and one pangram. A good LB contender too.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram, genius, 350 points so far.

brioche/equators

ab_grp, thank you for the good wishes. It's a little later in the day than the last time so I don't have to leave until around noon.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last 3 words with help from Shunn aflame, mafia and the old-school dictionary malefic. I was trying to play around with maleficence or something but didn't happen.

LB - broaches-squirt.

Haven't started yet. Up early to go to the gym but might go back to bed as I'm not feeling great.

cathwen

Good morning!

I did make it to QB, finally.  I failed to find fail until almost at the end, and then, with one word to go, I lay down for a nap and flail floated into my foggy brain. 

SB:  Today I am at Beta with all three pangrams.  424 points in this one—I don't know if I'll have the energy to pursue it that far.

LB:  I had botches-squarish.  I have one today, too, but one of the words is of the "Is this really a word?" variety.

Langue_doc, I wish you well on your surgery and recovery!  And ciao-yall, I hope you start to feel better!

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We got to QB today with some help from Shunn for my final 2 and husband's final 3 words.  Good enough. I kept trying malefice yesterday.  And cathwen, I think flail came very late for me, too!  Congrats on your QB!

I got chatbots-squire yesterday for LB.  Another round of different solutions! And none the schmofficial one, right? Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen!

We'll be thinking of you, Langue_doc!

And I hope you feel better too, ciao_yall.  Take care.

Just have hard sudoku for today and then will attempt LB.

Happy solving!

onthefringe

LB yesterday: brioches-sequestra. Loving all the alternates people saw! 2fer today as well.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, onthefringe! I have a favorite contender I just don't want to give up on but haven't found a mate for it yet.  But I have a couple others to work with, so we'll see.

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer, and with my chosen contender.  I thought for sure I had tried the mate before, but I guess not.