News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We made it to QB with some help from Shunn for first letters of our final words.  Good enough!

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!  I have what I think is a very good contender but need to find a mate for it.  I hope I will.  Or that I will have the sense to let go of it and move on.

cathwen

Finally!  A 2fer for LB.

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp!  I just made QB as well, also with a nudge from Shunn for first letters.  My last word was one I thought I had typed in right at the beginning! 

ab_grp

Woohoo! Congrats on your 2fer and QB, cathwen!! I have a bunch more contenders but still no joy.

ciao_yall

QB - 1. I looked at the grid so I know the first two letters and the letter count. Trying not to check the definitions...

ciao_yall

Checked Wordplay hints, then thesaurus.

Learned a new word (apparently hung up other people) and achieved QB. Again.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall!

I have been bugged on and off throughout the day that my favored contender has a mate that is in the urban dictionary but not the real dictionary, I guess.  I am thinking of considering it as a pseudosolution.  Hopefully I can come up with a "real" one.

ETA: Got a "real" solution with a different contender and a word I thought I had made up.  Huh! I would guess that is also not the schmofficial one, so maybe I'll keep trying.

ETA^2: Yay! I got an accepted solution with my favored contender.  So, two pseudosolutions and two accepted solutions.

Parasaurolophus

My 2fer yesterday was, if memory serves, frats-squinches.

Haven't gotten far yet today, bit I'll keep at it.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB and the official solution for LB.

Pangram and genius today; have run out of ideas for more words--I probably need just three or four.

Made it to the three outings that I wanted, ab_grp.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on your QB, Langue_doc!

I am currently at QB-1.  I need a six-letter word, and I am stumped.  However, I hope to make QBABM, so I'll keep coming back to it and hope that inspiration strikes.

Yesterday, my final word was bait—which I thought I had entered at the beginning, but apparently I either mistyped it, or just thought about it and never typed it. 

As for LB, I also got the "official" solution (dwarfing-gulch), and I have found a 2fer today. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Last word was labiliity. Genius with pangram so far this morning as it's a quick one. Maybe I'll achieve QBABM?

LB - dwarfing-gulch and a 2fer already.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB! Familiar words all.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM, not too tough of a set of words.  Cathwen, I also had a 6-letter word left.  Maybe the same one? I did find it, but there were a couple others I thought could have been accepted that weren't, and husband pointed out another one that could have been in there.  He is missing an 8-letter word.  Hopefully he will find it! And hopefully you will find yours!  Congrats to Langue_doc on the QB!! Lability was also my final word yesterday.

For LB, my favored contender was lawnchair.  They wouldn't take gawdawful as a mate, but that's in the urban dictionary, so I consider that a pseudosolution.  It also works with churching.  I finally got a real mate for it, though: fungicidal-lawnchair.  And I got dwarfing-glunch.  I did not know the latter was a word but tried it, and voila.  It apparently means to look sour or glum.  Sadly, I didn't see gulch! Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall! Also congrats to Parasaurolophus for the additional interesting solution to the previous day's LB!

Hooray on getting your trips, Langue_doc! Your timing and diligence paid off!

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer!

onthefringe

Very impressive work yesterday ab_grp! I just got the schmofficial dwarfing-gulch (and then went around the rest of the day humming "It's no sicker than your thing with Dwarves. Dwarfs. Dwarfs... Dwarfs are very upsetting" and the rest of Into the Woods, so thanks for that letterboxed).

Today I would not have accepted one of the words in my 2fer, but they did.

ab_grp

Thanks, onthefringe! I was being stubborn about lawnchair and was kind of surprised they accepted it because it seems as though it might be two words.  There's a Galavant song about Giants vs. Dwarves that you've put in my head now! It's a good earworm, though, like most songs from that show.  Congrats on your 2fer today! You never know what they will accept, so might as well try.

cathwen

QB, with a hint from Shunn on the first letter of the last word, which was unfamiliar to me.  So no QBABM today!

Ab_grp, I also get stubborn about certain words!  Yesterday I was determined to use haranguing, but just could not make it work. 

Onthefringe, it is always worth trying weird words!  I have often been surprised at what LB accepts.  (By the same token, I have sometimes been surprised and annoyed by what LB does not accept!) Congratulations on your 2fer.