News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBAM!

Still only at 4fers on LB. This may be one of those days where I skip the 3fers and go right to the 2fer.

ab_grp

Good going, ciao_yall!

Still no 2fer here.  Lots and lots of contenders!

ciao_yall

Me too, ab_grp. Lots of 3fers. And a 2fer b4ss if I had one different letter. And a ships solution b4ss. That V and X, along with ER in the same row is not fun. I may hit the solver site.

Except on the FB group I have discovered a subthread of solvers with cathwen-like ability to find 2fers before I have even put milk in my coffee. So, pressure is on to keep up with the fast kids. (Some things never change.)

Langue_doc

ab_grp and ciao_yall, think evil.

ciao_yall

Ooh, a minute too late! I just went to the solver site and got the answer! Tricky one...

Even the solver site only had one reasonable solution, so I don't feel so bad.

ab_grp

That hint definitely goes with one of my contenders, so hopefully I can make it work! Thanks!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

monovalence/exhort and then malevolence/exhort. Couldn't find a mate for anthrax.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram so far. 

LB:  malevolence-exhort.  No solution yet today—several almost-solutions that leave one letter hanging.  I'll keep at it.  We're having new window shades installed today, so there's a lot of hubbub.  I'm finding it hard to concentrate.  Yeah, that's my excuse!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Gave up and hit the solver site for malevolence-exhort. Lots of 3fers march-hexane-elevator, chromate-excel-leaven, cholorate-exam-maven.

Close but no cigar!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Still two words from QB but one point from Alpha! Husband did hit Alpha.  At least I did make it to GN4L.  I think my final words yesterday were wonton, dimwit.  Between the latter and nitwit, idiot, I felt as though Sam was trying to say something...

Argh, did not get the LB.  The hint about evil made me think about one of my contenders, henchman, but it didn't lead anywhere.  I did have exhort and a ton of others but couldn't get the mate.  Good job on the 2fers!!

And good luck with the shades hubbub, cathwen! Sounds like a reasonable excuse to me!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Wahoo! Got a 2fer!

Still one word from QB, but I did get to Alpha.  Husband got to QBABH, so hopefully I will figure out this word!

However, I am stuck on hard sudoku.  I swear there is some balance between these games each day.

OneMoreYear

2fer for today! Not the official, so look forward to seeing what others come up with.

That concludes my successes for today. Was nice to have a quick break and feel like I accomplished something before I wade back in to tackle teaching problem #eleventybillion for this week.

ciao_yall

7 points short of QB so probably one healthy word.

Lots of 3fers, but no 2fer yet.

cathwen

I got to QB, but had to look at Wordplay definitions for the very last word.  I don't feel guilty about that, because it is a weird word. 

And LB gave me a hard time today.  I finally got a 2fer, but only after seeing a hint on Wordplay while I was looking for definitions.  I might have gotten the 2fer eventually, because I had one of the words already.

Having workmen in the house was distracting this morning.  But the new shades are up, and we love them!