News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

*Finally* got a 2fer.  Not an easy one today! 

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far, but that's probably going to be as far as I'm going to get today. Missed the h-word yesterday.

crumb/bighearted

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I got to QB only with massive amounts of help.  Although I have taken literature classes, I did not know hamartia, nor did I know haram (although halal is familiar, as many food carts in New York advertise halal food).  Matcha is something I've heard of, but not in my active vocabulary. 

Today's SB doesn't look any more promising.  I'm at genius with the pangram, but probably won't get much beyond that on my own.

But I do have a 2fer, so at least there's that.  As for yesterday, I had the "official" thumb/birdcage.  Langue_doc, I had crumb at one point, but did not see bighearted!

Happy puzzling, everyone!

cathwen

QBABM!  Against all hope.  I sat down after doing some household stuff, and the words just came to me. 

ciao_yall

Yesterday was a washout with both SB and LB. I found crumb, thumb and other 3fers but no mates.

Let's see how today goes!

Langue_doc

Congrats, cathwen.

Just got a two-fer that I like.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QBABM, not too bad today.  Husband followed soon after.  I don't think there were any unusual words.  Yesterday the h- word got us as well.  And I guessed haram.

No luck on LB again.  It wouldn't take crumbhead, or I would have had a twofer.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and again today, Langue_doc and cathwen!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and almost genius so far.

Last word yesterday was unwon. I tried all kinds of combinations with un-, but no luck until this one, which I didn't think was a word.

gladiator/rhythms; I hate it when the NYT gets "my" solution.

Today's chores: getting ready for the trip and getting gas.

Happy solving, all!

ETA: Two pangrams!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBWCH, once I realized I was at QB-1. Last word was wooing.

Just 3fers. Got close with rhythm-modality-yags.

I hear ya Langue_doc. Welcome to being basic.

Onward to today. Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I also had the "official" 2fer yesterday.  I also feel a little deflated when it's the same as the NYT solution.  I guess it's the feeling that I'm not as original and clever as I would like to think!

Today I am at genius with both pangrams, but no 2fer yet. 

I have to get cracking now on Things To Do in preparation for the holidays.  It's low key this year, and Middle Daughter is hosting—but I do have a little baking to do, and presents to wrap.  And I have to go pick up my new glasses, and then my husband and I must get a tree before they're all gone.  (We put it up on Christmas Eve—a tradition in both our families.)

Langue_doc, safe travels!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Three words to go to QB but got Alpha and pangrams.  Yesterday I think my final one was wigging.

I also got the schmofficial solution.  I don't like being basic either, but I don't have as much luck as the rest of you consistently, so I'll take it! I thought dormitory might work and tried dismalist, but I guess that's not a word, just a forumite.

Good luck with trip and holiday preparations! It's got to be challenging sometimes to get a tree so late in the season, but probably unavoidable if you want a real one and also need it to be fresh and ready for Christmas Eve.  Safe travels to the travelers!

I never managed to find my Christmas cards and was too stubborn to get new ones since I had just ordered a whole bunch last time that I put somewhere for "safe keeping."  Since last year was so rough with my FIL's illness, we didn't send any, so now it's been two years since I put them away.  Ugh.  Maybe there will be a Christmas miracle, and I will locate them.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP, and not bothered by the ones I missed. Today I am lamenting not having an E.

LB - Yikes! I only got 4fers yesterday. Anyone make any more progress? Let's see what today's brings.

Happy solving!