News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Status - quick GwP and 3fers coming out of my ears. A few good finds but no mates.

ab_grp

We both got down to 2 words and Alpha and decided to get some help.  We were both missing the same words.  One is probably the one cathwen was referring to.  I managed to guess it from the first two letters and may have heard of it before, but I never would have guessed it without help.

Good luck with LB, ciao_yall! Sounds like you are on your way!

Enjoy your lazy day and time with friends, Langue_doc.

Oh, we did try the eggnog French toast, and it ended up pretty good.  We tweaked the original recipe based on reviews saying more egg and less eggnog than prescribed, and we might tweak it a little bit next time.  But pretty successful.

Langue_doc

QB and two-fer without much effort. The last word was on the far edge of familiar, but found it because I've seen it's relatives in recent puzzles.

The discussion on pancakes got me thinking about making waffles--the latter can be frozen unlike the former.

ab_grp

Congrats, Langue_doc! And I didn't know there was a difference for freezing between pancakes and waffles.  I have never tried to freeze either one, but I don't have a waffle maker in any case.  Sounds like fun!

ETA: Yay! Got a 2fer!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I've never frozen pancakes as I didn't think they could be frozen. I just stick the frozen waffles in the oven or the toaster oven for a quick breakfast. Waffle irons are rather inexpensive and can be stored upright so they don't take up any space. When I make pancakes I have to remember to use up the batter the following day.

Aargh! I just realized that I haven't even looked at the crossword. Oh, well. I missed my streak during the Thanksgiving break, and then the next one during Christmas.

To channel Scarlett O'Hara, tomorrow is another day!

Langue_doc

Double post---

Turns out that I didn't lose my post-Christmas streak as I just completed yesterday's crossword. We probably get until 10 PM on all seven days to complete the crosswords.

Today's is done, as are the sudokus.

Parasaurolophus

One short of GWP, but found a few that are being rejected, so...

Edit: there we go.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - 4. A few easy ones, and WTFity-F is a wallaroo?

And, hulks-staycation.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far.

Australian fauna was the last word; I might have seen it in a previous bee, but recall seeing other animals from the continent in recent bees.

thinks/salaciously--love the combo.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB-5 this morning.  I needed a hint for wallaroo yesterday—a new animal for me.  Besides expanding my fish vocabulary, I guess I need to work on my Australian mammal vocabulary as well.

LB:  I had inculcations/shaky.  Langue_doc, what a great combination you found!   

It took me quite a while, but I finally came up with a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM! It was quite a challenge to get to GN4L, so husband was in the lead for a while, but I managed to edge him out.  We had the same final word yesterday as everyone here.

I had the same 2fer as cathwen.   I agree Langue_doc's was a good one! I never would have gotten the schmofficial one, so congrats, ciao_yall!  Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Quick GWP this morning.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

QB and twofer.

Trying my hand at London Broil in a cast-iron skillet for tonight's dinner.

ETA: I was reminded of yesterday's NYT LB solution when I saw this comic strip: https://mutts.com/

If the link doesn't work, you could google "Mutts comics today".

ab_grp

Congrats, Parasaurolophus and Langue_doc!

Langue_doc, good luck with your meal.  I am terrible with cast iron skillets.  They are heavy, and I am afraid of cleaning them.  But they can do wonders! Also, thank you for the comic.  I always get a kick out of Mutts, and it's been too long since I've read it.

I do have some contenders for LB but no luck yet.

ab_grp

Finally managed to get a 2fer!