News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Just 3fers here so far. Maybe a 2fer will pop?

cathwen

Good morning!

Yesterday my last word was tommyrot, for which I needed a hint.  I don't know why I didn't think of it.   

Today, though, I am at genius with pangram; I'll be lucky to get much further.  I'm finding this a tough group of letters.

LB:  I had combative-egads.  I have a 2fer today as well. 

Happy puzzling, and congratulations on all of yesterday's successes!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GWP yesterday, then I stopped. Another new word - tommyrot

Just 3fers yesterday - got close but no cigar. activism-mob-badge, vied-dogmatic-cabs, motive-egads-scab.

Ah well, today is a new day! Happy solving!

ETA: Quick 2fer this morning - got my touch back!

cathwen

Hurray, ciao_yall! 

Did you all see the article in The NY Times about the new word game, Wordle?  https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

One more thing to get hooked on...

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

LB: same as cathwen's.

Long day today, so probably no more puzzling.

ab_grp, I like cast iron skillets as they are practically non-stick, retain heat, and get a good sear on steaks. I wash them with the blue Scotch brite sponges. I use the small one to waited vegetables, and the large ones for most everything except rice.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Man, I am struggling on the bee today.  Yesterday my final non-fours were tomtit, tommyrot.  Glad I finally found them. 

I had the same 2fer as cathwen and Langue_doc.  Interesting! Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Cathwen, I came across Wordle by seeing people posting their results on Twitter.  I did not understand what the squares meant, but now I have played it the past four or so days.  My husband sent me that article, but I haven't read it yet.  The best I have done so far is solving in three words, but I am curious to see if there are stats on that.  It only takes a couple minutes each day and adds an extra challenge! Have you been solving it as well?

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer!

ab_grp

Finally down to one word left to QB.  Took me forever to find the pangram for some reason.

Parasaurolophus

No luck today, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram. Another long day, so probably no more puzzling.

Crosswords, sudokus, and vertex are done.

barytone/evicts

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with pangram, but SB is a long one today!  Like Langue_doc, I'm not at all sure I'll have the time or the patience to finish it.

Yesterday I needed help to find nepenthe

LB:  I had the "official" basic-controversy.  I have a 2fer today, but the second word is a little odd.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Yesterday I needed help to find nepenthe.

We've encountered this word in a previous bee; it's also the name of a restaurant in Big Sur where we once had drinks after a long hike.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBWH. Last words were heptane and.... tenth. SMDH. Yes, I know the restaurant Nepenthe which is how I remembered the word and was quite proud of myself. Today I would really like an r.

LB - basic-controversy. Langue_doc, wow, didn't know you could spell barytone with a y.

Happy solving!

cathwen

I now remember having seen nepenthe before, and the comment about the restaurant.  I have eaten there, too!  But the name did not stick with me (obviously).  Next time...

ab_grp

Good morning!

I still am not at Alpha but am 8 points away.  It is a long one! Yesterday our final word was also nepenthe.  We needed help from Shunn, and then I had one of those "isn't there something like..." moments and recalled it from the previous puzzle, thankfully. 

I also had the schmofficial solution and didn't realize barytone could be spelled that way.  Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Slogging at AwP (what a long one today!) and have a 2fer b4ss so hope something will bust loose soon !!!!!!!

Sitting here waiting for the IT guy to set up my computer but at least my wifi works.