News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Oops, that was yesterday's post that I just finally entered.

GwP yesterday. Actually got pretty close ABM, considering I missed deadlock(ed), cockade and coldcock(ed).

Just 3fers seven-power-rumbas, woven-number-rasp. I did find avows at one point but that and a nickel won't even get me a cup of coffee.

Happy solving today!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram yet.

cathwen, I too noticed that the forecast for Monday has changed, and was wondering whether to do the grocery run (which I didn't do on Friday) on Tuesday instead of on Monday. Do be careful when driving, not only of the ice but of some of the drivers who appear not to know to slow down. You probably read about the recent crash on the Palisades Parkway--tailgating driver tried to pass between cars driving on two separate lanes, then used the shoulder, and then flipped over. It was in all the local news about a week ago.

The bird trip has been rescheduled--according to the forecast it's going to be 15 degrees warmer next weekend, which is a relief.

ab_grp, I used to live on a street with driveways similar to yours and remember a neighbor hauling her trash cans down the steep hill in the trunk of her car (she left the trunk open), especially in winter. The lids were properly secured because of the raccoons in that neighborhood, so there was no danger of the contents spilling out.

Happy solving, all!

ETA Found the pangram.

ciao_yall

GwP and messy 2fer.

Crosswords done. Whoopdedoodle.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Today is a tough bee for me! I think I have 7 words left.  Yesterday, my final one was cockade, and husband was missing coldcock(ed).

I had the schmofficial LB solution yesterday as well.  Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I have tried to figure out a way to get the trash down there with various devices.  I don't think it would fit in my trunk, but it would fit in the back of husband's truck if we could get it up there while full.  Our next door neighbors have a longer driveway that's gravel, and I think they cart theirs down there somehow.  This morning we had a new weird thing to deal with.  Our reverse osmosis lines often freeze when it's really cold and don't put out water until midmorning, but this morning we also had no cold water coming out from the regular taps in the middle of the house, no water at all in the bedroom my husband uses as an office (no sink, no shower), though our daughter's room right next door had full water.  Our own bedroom on the other side of the house had full water.  It's new info, so maybe it will help figure out where we might need some insulation, but it's weird since they are all on different lines in the manifold.  Who knows.  One more thing to look up! He had thought he had figured out the reverse osmosis issue the day before after finally remembering after 5+ years that there is a RO tap on the roof of our house! I don't think I even knew that there was.  Maybe they installed one there since the roof is flat and could be used for a party or stargazing or something.  So he put one of those faucet covers on it yesterday in hopes that it would solve the RO freezing issue, and now we have these other water lines also freezing.  Always something.

I'm sorry that your bird outing couldn't go on today, but it's great to hear that it will be significantly warmer next weekend and there will be another opportunity!

Definitely be safe driving out there with the cold weather and other drivers.  Cathwen, I hope things clear up for your trip, and I totally understand the anxiety and weather watching.  Even with experience, it's not fun to contemplate.  I will cross my fingers for a normal drive!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Whew, GWP to break my streak.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

And we're each at Alpha with 3 or 4 words left, but I have no idea what just yet.  Might need assistance.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Made it to QB last night, after completing today's crossword.

polemics/stanza

Two-fer already!

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp, hope your water problems have been resolved.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on your 2fer, Langue_doc!  I am still struggling.

Yesterday I had impacts-solemnize

As for SB, I'm at Beta with four words to go.  Yesterday I had to go to hints to find peke and pigpen

Congratulations on breaking your streak, Parasaurolophus!

Happy puzzling to all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 3 words left, one point shy of Alpha.  Husband has 2 words left and is at Alpha.  Took me a while to find the pangram.  Yesterday I gave up on my final words and asked Shunn for help.  Pretty sad, as they were not difficult! I thought I had entered at least two of them (begin, pepping.  I think penne was the other one, and then I had no idea what kepi was until we looked it up.  I thought maybe innkeep(ing) might be in there, along with some others I can't recall now.  I am also glad you broke your streak, Parasaurolophus!

For LB, I had polemicizes-stain.  Lots of solutions, and no schmofficial one yet.  Congrats on your 2fer today, Langue_doc! And for your QB yesterday!

We decided to keep the heat higher last night.  RO still frozen upon awakening, but other waters worked except for hot water in husband's office room.  So that's something! Thanks, Langue_doc. 

We're going to try to make some lemon-ricotta pancakes this morning, so that should help warm us up if they work out.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for innie. And minimizations-special.

ciao_yall

Too late to modify, but GwP and 2fer this morning.

ETA: Hit the dictionary for 2 new words ad QB.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall!

I finally made it to QBABM, but it took me a while after husband got to QBABH. 

And I think I have a pretty good contender for LB that I don't want to let go of but haven't found a mate yet for.  I don't know if it will pan out, or I'll have to give up on it, or what.

ab_grp

Finally got a team 2fer, not with my favored contender.

Parasaurolophus

Piffle, two points short.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwH, needed the dictionary for arrant, tantara. And crow-wavelength.

Happy solving!